Hot water light yellow/green

Old 09-07-17, 11:46 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot water light yellow/green

I have a well for my house and we've been in the house about a year. Right after we moved in, I installed a waterboss 900 to treat the hard water. The tests before indicated hard water=25, iron=3ppm, PH 8.5, Alkalinity=240,and negative for copper, nitrates, lead and chlorine. We did notice a orange slime in the toilet tanks, and after research I believe this indicates iron bacteria. Post water softener installation the hard water and iron tests are also negative. Over the past year, we get an metallic/iron smell from the hot water so I chlorinated the well in March and again in August and I've read that it may take multiple well chlorinations to eliminate iron bacteria. After the most recent chlorination, we started to see orange/rusty water from both cold and hot water. I ran resin cleaner through the water softener twice and regenerate a few more times to clear the system about 5 days ago. Our cold water is now running clear and I've emptied the hot water tank twice in an attempt to flush out the old water but it still has a yellow tint to it that you can only notice if you fill a large bath. Any help in resolving is much appreciated.

Old 09-07-17, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
It will take a while to remove from the water heater side.. And if shocking the well does not help and it comes back, I would suggest bleach injection with a large mixing tank..

Sometimes when the well is shocked , people dont flush the system long enough. Shocking the well oxidation the iron. A hose should of been run at a house bib possibly for a day or 2 to clear the rust. Then run the water through the system. Not doing this clogs the softer up and loads the HWH since its a storage vessel..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: