packing new media in my whole house filter, what order should I place it?

Old 11-03-17, 12:43 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
packing new media in my whole house filter, what order should I place it?

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance for the help!

We purchased a home 2 years ago in Sarasota, FL. Unfortunately (and fortunately as I use water for a ton of things) the home came with well water only - a blessing and a curse. Being from Tennessee, this didn't really seem like a problem to me, but the well was drilled in the 50's, it's shallow, and the water is heavy in metal - Iron mainly.

That being said, we purchased a whole house filtration system with auto-backwash (set daily), and a water softener. These are branded as "iron guard" and some for the softener, I can't remember the name, but it's catchy LOL.

These are comparable to Fleck heads, and the whole house filter system is the one with the air pocket at the top. I'm still not sure if it's called air injection or aeration, but again, it's the one with the pocket at the top.

Unfortunately for me, and my neighbors, we've been forced to learn more and more about our water as all the local companies refuse to either replace the media, shock the well, install a chlorinator, or come up with any solution that doesn't require buying a complete system from them. There are people buying whole new systems every 2-5 years out here because they don't know they can repack their backwashing systems.....

Sorry to bore you with the long post, but I need some help.

I recently purchased the following

1) 15 pound of filter gravel for for the base of the softener and the filter system
2) Birm filter media
3) Filox media
4) KDF 55 Filtration media
5) Granular Activated Carbon w/ coconut
6) KDF 85 Filtration media
7) I need resin for the softener, if you have any suggestions I really appreciate it

I realize that I may have purchased too much, or there may be some redundancies in my purchases, however, it's been months where the water has started to smell bad, and now our current media (2 years old), is dead - the water is stinky like sulfur/eggs and metallic tasting as well. It also smells like metal.

Could you please advise as to whether or not I purchased the correct items, if I'm missing anything, and what order your recommend I pack the filter and softener?

I'm thinking from bottom to top: gravel -> kdf -> birm -> filox (for the filter) & gravel -> resin (softener)

any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Old 11-16-17, 05:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure who told you to get that media, but it is wrong. KLDF 55 is to remove chlorine whereas KDF 85 is to remove sulfur. Birm can not have sulfur in the water. Coconut carbon is to remove chlorine not sulfur. Filox is the only media that can remove both sulfur & iron but is limited. Your best bet is to install a chlorinator followed by a carbon filter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: