Do we need a softener resin cleaner ?

Old 12-23-17, 12:08 PM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Do we need a softener resin cleaner ?

Have had a 2 cu.ft. water softener for 10 years. All seems to be well. Read a blurb that says resin should be cleaned occasionally. Talked to our water tech and he said: Only if you use low quality salt....or if you use pelletized salt that has a binder. We use Diamond Naturals Solar Crystals.

We have a sediment filter and an BIRM iron filter in line, before the softener, which has Purolite C100E resin.

So, are we good for another 10 years.....and how do you know if your resin needs cleaning ? Taste...color or ......?

Many thanks

Old 12-23-17, 03:07 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
There realy is no such thing as resin cleaner, sort of a snake oil material, either the resin bed is working or it's not.

Most resin beds are good for 10-15 years depending on the hardness of the water, you will know when you start seeing increased regeneration meaning the bed is not functioning as efficiently.

Old 12-23-17, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Resin cleaner is a cirtic acid... Cleans the rust out IMO.. In fact its basically iron out... Thats what I use..

If you would see my softner it has rust stains in the ports... I do mine every 6 months... keeps all lines clear like venturi etc...

Old 12-24-17, 06:05 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Cleans the rust out IMO.. In fact its basically iron out

If you are getting that much insoluble iron you should look into a pre iron removal system like chlorine injection, will greatly increase the life of your softener!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: