Gravel In Iron filter tank?

Old 01-25-18, 09:07 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gravel In Iron filter tank?

Hi, I just had my filter serviced and the tech replaced the media . I noticed that he didn't use any gravel in the bottom of the tank. I know that it is necessary in the water softener but I cannot find any info regarding the iron filter. Also, I am looking for the most recommended media for this filter. Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

Barrie

Old 01-25-18, 09:11 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I have never heard of anybody installing gravel in any type of softener or carbon filter!

What purpose is it supposed to provide?

Old 01-25-18, 02:47 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Depending on the system and the media gravel will be used in different grades and an "Under Bedding"

Now things are changing with a tank that has a plate at the bottom and then the gravel under bedding would not be needed.

With out the water quality and flow rates from the well and needed in side the house I my self could not say which media might be best.

Old 01-26-18, 07:11 AM
O
So I guess that the older tank without the plate would require the gravel in both the iron filter and the softener? I kind of figured that it would be a sort of buffer so that the media wasn't washed away. As far as the media goes would it matter if it was too effective?

Old 01-26-18, 09:45 AM
The media will not be washed away but rather a proper flow of water for both service and cleaning of media.

I would be calling the company and finding out their reason for the lack of gravel if the tank is not an Empress Vortech tank.

Old 01-28-18, 05:33 PM
O
The company is a "one man band" and he is not very responsive; so I suppose that I will have to bite the bullet and look for another outfit to service my equipment. That's what it's like to live in the sticks. The odds are that I will have to learn enough to do it myself.

Old 01-29-18, 09:45 AM
Is he just starting? Have you checked to see if he forgot or did not understand about the underbedding gravel?

It would also help if you filled in what state your in.

Old 01-30-18, 07:54 AM
O
This is rural Nova Scotia and this guy's been around for a while with no valid competition. As far as I can see it is like a few other things; I will need to do it myself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: