Pinhole Leaks Can Water Filtration Be a Long Term Solution

Old 02-04-18, 12:45 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pinhole Leaks Can Water Filtration Be a Long Term Solution

I live in South Orange County, CA (Southern California). My home was built in 2001 and it has suffered two pinhole leaks in the same area of piping about 2 years apart. My home has copper M. All the newer developments from 2001 and beyond in South Orange County, CA were build with Copper M piping. Pinhole leaks in all the newer communities is extremely common. Even homes much newer than mine are suffering multiple pinhole leaks and since the piping is run in the slab it can be quite an issue.

Most of the repipe companies in the area are saying the pinhole leaks are being caused by the use of copper M combined with the water companies addition of Cholormine to the water.

I obviously would like to prevent repiping. I am wondering I could get long-term results by installing a whole home Water Filtration system. The system I am considering would have Backwashing Catalytic Carbon Filter for removing Cholormine and a softener to prevent hard water.

Can a whole home water filtration system help he get longevity out of my copper M plumbing system without future pinhole leaks?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Old 02-04-18, 12:56 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The copper that is showing up with holes, Hot line or Cold line?

If it is the Hot line , what is the temp of the water?

Also check the make sure that the copper line is NOT A GROUND FOR an electrical lines in the building.

Old 02-04-18, 01:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 786 Votes on 723 Posts
If you already have leaks I think it's too late for any type of treatment. The damage has already been done. You might be able to reduce or even stop the damage but it wont' restore your pipes that are already leaking.

Old 02-04-18, 02:00 PM
J
Both times the leaks were in the cold water line.

Old 02-04-18, 04:27 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Have an professional electrician come in and find out if there is elect passing to the copper pipe or a poor grounding wire or rod.

Old 02-04-18, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Just wondering if there has been any sort of class action suit brought?

Old 02-04-18, 06:32 PM
J
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Mark my words, as mentioned a water filter is useless!
Pipes should have been run under the slab, not through it, it's 100% sure way to have leaking pipes.
Going to have to run all new lines, best way, use PEX.

Old 02-05-18, 05:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 786 Votes on 723 Posts
Copper pipes being etched & erroded from the inside out is common in sections of my county. The water chemistry slowly erodes away at the interior of the pipes until they are paper thin. Once the leaks start they just keep coming.

This Old House did a good video explaining some of the ways copper pipe can fail from the inside out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD5lMITzx_Y

Old 02-05-18, 06:58 PM
Ah, the good ole days. When I had my previous house re-piped, the plumber said to me " remember I am only the plumber and I have nothing to do with drywall holes that will have to be patched during the process" He had to dig a trench around the house to plumb the outside spigots and in doing so, cut the cable, telephone wire and sprinkler wires. Not to mention the cement block he had to knock out to get to those spigots. I had a continuing fight with the telephone company who would come and ground out their line on one of my spigots and as soon as he left, I would take it back off. Finally told him he won and left the wire there, but failed to tell him that there was no cooper behind the spigot, only plex.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: