Water softener drain question

Old 02-18-18, 10:38 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water softener drain question

I am installing a water softener in a house that was built at the end of 2005. It is pre-plumbed for a water softener with a loop (as required by code at the time) in the garage. There is also a 1/2 inch open pex pipe next to the loop that I am assuming is for connecting the drain. I have a couple of questions about the drain connections.

1. With pre-plumbed loop and drain, is it safe to assume that the drain has an airgap somewhere farther down the line or do I need to take that into account when connecting the regeneration line to the drain?

2. The softener instructions also discuss an overflow line that needs to connect to a drain line. Do those typically connect to the same drain line as the regeneration line? The drain line in the wall is 1/2 inch while both the regen and overflow lines are 3/8. I would like to just use the same drain line, but am not sure what I need to install for this to properly work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Images  
Old 02-18-18, 11:54 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If you cant see the drain air gap then I would not assume it exists,

Overflow drain usually is to a separate drain but I dont believe it is required.

Old 02-22-18, 09:30 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
You can not put an air gap on the 1/2" line. Air gaps are normally use a 1 1/2" pipe.

Old 02-22-18, 04:55 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So in the case where it is plumbed like this, do people just hook the 3/8 hose into the 1/2 with no airgap? I was hoping someone on this forum had a similar setup.

Old 02-24-18, 05:33 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
A direct connection is the only way to use that drain. I have done it several time with no issues. It doesn't make it right, but that is the only choice you have short of constructing another drain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: