Water Softener Smell

Old 02-27-18, 08:38 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Softener Smell

I have an older Culligan Mark 89 water softener, and we have well water. We've recently been getting a bad smell (somewhat like rotten eggs, but more nasty - It smells like a bacterial infestation) out of our cold water. We bleached the well, drained and bleached the hot water, and bleached all the lines in the house. We tested the water from the kitchen sink and it came back positive for bacteria. I tested the water from before the water softener, and it doesn't smell, and it came back with no bacteria. I've pretty much pinpointed it down to the water softener as the cause. Strangely enough, the hot water doesn't seem to smell, and it is fed by the water softener. The water softener is still working good, because it is removing the iron. If I drink the water before the softener, it tastes very strong of iron. Tasting the water after the softener, there is no iron, just a very foul smell and taste.

Would I be okay to dump my current resin bed, clean the resin and salt tanks out with bleach very well, and re-bed my softener? Or should I buy a new softener. A new softener is around $600, and new resin is about $100, so I'm trying to save $500 here. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-18, 08:46 AM
Received 370 Votes on 345 Posts
Chlorine will shorten the life of a resin bed but might be an option to try dosing it to see if it improves, worst case you would have to replace the bed anyway!,

Old 02-27-18, 08:47 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you did not clean the kitchen faucet with bleach and heat before the test then most likely it will fail. That aside have you run bleach in the salt tank? about 1 to 2 cups with the next cycle and see what happens.

You can re bed the system, pain the seat but it can be done and at some place down the road you will be replacing the Culligan 89 because of lack of parts for the valve , timer can be changed to a fleck 3200 assembly.

Old 02-27-18, 09:03 AM
G
The other day, I dumped a capful of bleach into the tube in the salt tank, then regenerated the water softener. Made absolutely no difference. I figured 2 cups would be way overkill, I only used 2 cups when I bleached the entire well (60 gal in the well + 50 gal water heater + lines = about 130 gal).

When I bleached the well, I ran the bleach water through all the faucets in the house, so yes, the bleach came in contact with the kitchen sink. But I smell the same smell from cold water in our bathrooms, showers, and the kitchen sink.

Old 02-27-18, 09:12 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Your call on the use of bleach, I am just stating what has been used at times over the last 25+ years that have worked.

And if there is iron in the water and the softener was not put in bypass then it has become iron fouled because of the oxidized iron.

Old 02-27-18, 11:35 AM
G
Yes the softener was bypassed when I bleached the entire system.
I will try it tonight with a cup of bleach and regenerate and see what happens

If this doesn't fix it, then a good solution should be to re-bed the resin?

Thanks