City water softener/chlorine filtration setup questions

Old 04-10-18, 01:09 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
City water softener/chlorine filtration setup questions

I'm on city water and have been having hard water issues. Got water tested and of note is 10gpg hardness and 1.5ppm chlorine. Called the water company and they confirmed they use sodium hypochloite and target 1ppm.

I local plumbing supply place that I use has both watersoft and aquapure systems. My monthly city water bill confirms a peak monly flow of about 7 ccf or 5236 gallons monthly. Divide by 30 and multiply the hardness gives me 1745 grains a day. Tells me I need either 24,000 or 32,000 grain softener. As far as service flow rate, I have two bathrooms, one with a 2.5gpm shower. Add in the fact that I'll also run a dishwasher or washing machine at the same time I believe a 10gpm sfr would suffice.

I wanted to add chlorine filter ahead of the softener, is there a preference between a carbon filled tank or a cartridge fiter? Watersoft and aquapure both sell huge 10+gpm chlorine cartridge filters that I was thinking of puttting in vice a second tank with another automatic valve. Also appealing to my love of technology, watersoft's control valve has a Bluetooth app that gives me all sorts of control and usage statistics so I'm leaning that way with the softener at least.

Am I off base on anything or anyone have suggestions?
​​

Old 04-11-18, 05:28 AM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
You haven't said how many people are in the family. If you are a geek, then the Bluetooth may be fun to have but it will not make your water any better than a plain softener. Look into Clack valves.

Old 04-11-18, 08:38 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ops, forgot that. The house has two people

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: