Requesting Help Choosing Well Water Treatment Options

Old 08-25-18, 12:35 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Requesting Help Choosing Well Water Treatment Options

If you have experience using or designing whole house filters, would you please share your knowledge with me?

We have a well with a sediment filter and a water softener. Until I shock the well with chlorine, we have black staining in the toilets and occasional sulfur smell. We have a septic field. Water test results are as follows:From well and before softener (mg/L):Iron: 5.896
Manganese: 0.634
Arsenic: Not Detected (ND) Hardness: 306.7
Sulfate: 28.1
Fluoride: ND
TDS: 757
pH 6.8
Sodium 24
Nitrate-N ND
Coliform: ND
E.coli ND
Copper: 0.014 (first draw)
Copper: 0.01 (flush)

Hot water after softener (mg/L):
Iron: 0.094
Manganese: 0.003
Arsenic: Not Detected (ND)
Hardness: 1.1
Sulfate: 28.5
Fluoride: ND
TDS: 436
pH 7.2
Sodium 191.93
Nitrate-N ND
Coliform: 1.01 (MPN/100mL)
E.coli ND
Copper: 0.126 (flush)

Here are my priorities for a water treatment system (from highest to lowest):
protect piping
reduce staining
reduce odor
keep the septic field operating efficiently
low maintenance (labor)
low operating cost
low first cost
quality drinking waterNotice that I listed drinking water last. We buy bottled water and will soon install a RO for drinking water only. Iíve listed fist cost toward the bottom. From experience, I suspect that first cost and operating cost will be in opposition to each other. Really, I want a system that meets the first listed objectives at the best ďlife-cycle cost.ĒThanks is advance!

Old 08-25-18, 12:57 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Give these folks a call and they will be a better source of what equipment is needed, I have used them for the past 20 years and they are great.

https://www.ohiopurewater.com/

Maintaining the water will eliminate any septic and piping issues, I have a chlorine injection system that removes all the iron, a carbon filter for odors, and also a RO for drinking and ice.

This is what I put together for current house!

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/a...1&d=1535227003

Attached Images  
Old 08-25-18, 01:25 PM
T
Wow Marq1! That looks complex. What are the components and how much time was involved building it and how much time is involved maintaining it?

Old 08-25-18, 02:00 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That is a pretty much a duplicate of a system I had installed several houses ago but doing the work myself I installed for around $3K. It was done for the most part over a couple days when the family was out of town.

Currently, minimal maintenance, the who;e hose filters (2) get changed every 4 months and the chlorine solution tank gets filled every couple;e weeks depending if sprinklers are running. Salt of course for the softener as needed.

Figure in a couple of years I will replace the media and carbon bed but the one item that seems to need more maintenance is the solution pump, chlorine is hard on pumps!

Old 08-25-18, 02:05 PM
T
Appreciate the information and picture - very helpful. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: