Debris in Reverse Osmosis Water

Old 10-05-18, 11:57 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Debris in Reverse Osmosis Water

I have a Hague H6500 reverse osmosis system that was installed new in June of 2017. The system is installed in my basement. I have a water spigot in the basin near the where the system is installed, a water spigot upstairs in the kitchen sink, and a line that runs from the basement to my refrigerator for supplying ice and cold drinking water. About 3 weeks ago I noticed debris in the water from the upstairs spigot located at the kitchen sink. I have attached photos of this debris. It looks like some kind of film floating around in the water. By the way the water out of the refrig is fine (no filter in the refrigerator...just a bypass filter plug) and the water out of the downstairs spigot is fine. I contacted the company that installed the system and had them change all the filters except the membrane. That did not solve the issue. They then came out and sanitized the system using Sani System. That did not fix the problem They came out yesterday and sanitized only the line going to the kitchen spigot. I have flushed the system several times but am still getting the same debris out of the kitchen spigot. The water from the downstairs spigot and the refrigerator are still clear. The lines are all food grade plastic lines with John Guest fittings. Do any of you know what could be the cause and the cure for this?

Attached Images   
Old 10-05-18, 01:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
When were the water lines installed? If you continue to only have particulate in the one line you might consider replacing the line.

Changing the filters won't help as they are all upstream of the membrane and are there mainly to protect and extend the life of the membrane.

Old 10-05-18, 06:58 PM
R
The lines were installed when the system was in June of last year. All three lines came off the same roll of tubing I am guessing. The spigot in the basement is tee'd off the same line that feeds the refrigerator and the upstairs spigot.

Old 10-05-18, 07:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Clean or change the faucet in question.
If you where to take the line before the faucet and run water into a glass and there is no floaties then the challenge is the faucet.

Some one most likely got a glass or some thing over the end and cross contaminated the faucet or the faucet is breaking down.

Old 10-06-18, 05:47 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
had them change all the filters except the membrane

The membrane should be changed every year, give or take, why would you not change it after 2 years.

How much use at each point, if something is contaminating the water but it get used a lot the contaminates will not collect in the line, If the line is used less the contaminates can collect and then break free.

Old 10-06-18, 06:00 AM
R
The membrane was not changed as the TDS number was still very low. This line is the most used line of the three. Thanks for your response.

Old 10-06-18, 06:03 AM
R
We suspected the spigot. The dealer checked the water before it entered the spigot and it had contaminates in it. This whole thing just does not make sense. I will say that since he sanitized the line, we have less contaminates, but still have them. It is funny as I can draw water one time and have contaminates and the next time won't. I can draw several cups of water without contaminates and then I will get a cup or two with contaminates. I have drained the sytem totally two different times.

Old 10-06-18, 07:36 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
So every thing has been changed, cleaned, sanitized except the membrane yet contaminates are still present.

There is only one thing left. What does the TDS have to do with anything, the membrane could be deteriorating!

Old 10-06-18, 08:26 AM
R
If the membrane was bad, wouldn't I get contaminates in the other lines as well?

Old 10-09-18, 12:09 PM
R
We are going to replace the line and the spigot. We are not sure why this line is the only one with contaminates, but one thing we noticed is that this line is actually wrapped tightly around a copper hot water line to the kitchen. I don't know if that is the cause, but defintely needs to be corrected. That is the only difference in the three lines..two without the problem and this one with the problem. Any thoughts about whether this could be the cause?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: