Salt level goes down but still hard water

Old 10-18-18, 07:48 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Salt level goes down but still hard water

I moved into this house a few years ago and thought I always had issues with the water softener. When i moved in it would regenerate at night and the next morning I would get a lot of air in my hot and cold lines and the water would come out white and have a weird, possibly, metal taste but it would be soft. After a few minutes of using the water it would go away and be fine. After about a year of this I decided to investigate so I cleaned out the brine tank since it did have some brown chunks floating in it and cleaned out the lines and screens inside the unit. Anyway, I have recently been noticing that I cannot get a lot of bubbles when trying to take a shower or wash my hands with soap. I took out my test strips and noticed that it is reading real high even the next morning after a regen, i think the number this morning was 425. The weird thing I think is that my salt level goes down normally after the regen but I am not getting any soft water at all. Is there something I am overlooking? Could the resin have gone bad?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

PS- My head unit is a Autotrol Model 440i

Last edited by sgruver78; 10-18-18 at 07:53 AM. Reason: added model
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-18, 09:45 AM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
Depends on the age of the resin. Usually lasts for 10-15 years depending on hardness or other contaminates.

Old 10-18-18, 10:00 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Internal bypass, there would be a seal or two that would letting untreated water cross over to the treated side.

There could be a pipe valve open that should be closed..

Day or meter system?

Old 10-18-18, 06:17 PM
S
It is a day system. Is there anyway a homeowner like me can check into this seal before I call in a pro?

Old 10-19-18, 10:08 AM
Age of system ?
Water quality?
Number of people?
Control valve?
If the system regens once a day for a few days and the water is only good for a few hours, bad resin(like battery not holding a charge) if after the cleaning there is no soft water , lather on top of water with clear water under then a seal is bad.

Old 10-20-18, 07:42 AM
S
Age-Assume it was original to the house so 1992

Water Quality-Seems clear but have approximately 18 grains on my tester of hardness

3 people

Control Valve- Marlo ML-22D

After regen I am getting clean clear water out of faucet, if you are talking about in brine tank I do have some bubbles on top.

I tested the water immediately after the regen after i let the water run a few mins and that is when I got the 18 grains according to my Hach Total Water Hardness kit.

Attached Images  
Old 10-20-18, 10:22 AM
Not sure of the valve from the label.
But if there is no change of hardness either the valve is bypassing inside or the media is shot... I would be more inclined to think the internal bypass is going on. Even if the media or resin was going out there would be some reduction of hardness.

Old 10-24-18, 10:12 AM
S
Thanks for all the help everyone! I was able to pinpoint the problem and make the repair. I was thinking that after the generation the salt level was going down but actually the water was rising. It looks like my o-ring on the safety valve in the brine tank was leaking so I was sucking up air and not brine solution, it was just adding water to the tank on the refill. Anyway, one more quick question, should the salt taste be removed during the flush cycle? After it ran the other night the next more I had a lot of salty tasting water until I ran a few gallons out the tap.

Again, thanks for the help!!!!

Old 10-24-18, 10:35 AM
With the proper level of water in the salt tank there should be no salt taste in the water after a regen... but with extra water in the salt tank and normal regen salt taste is likely.
An extra regen or run a faucet or two to clear up the taste.

Old 10-24-18, 10:58 AM
S
One last question and I will stop bothering you guys! Now that I have too much water in my brine tank will it automatically go to the right level on my next generation or would I need to syphon out the water to about 1 inch above my salt grid?

Old 10-24-18, 05:24 PM
A few regens and it should find its level again.