Increase in brine tank water level

Old 01-10-19, 09:43 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
Increase in brine tank water level

My softener brine tank water level is usually fairly low and I add a 40lb bag every 2-3 weeks to keep the salt level above the water. When I went to check it today I had to add 4 bags (160lbs) to cover the water and the salt level is approx. 1 foot from the top.

I'm wondering about whether I have a problem. Is it possible the salt at the bottom has hardened and I have to break up clumps? Are there other things I should consider?

Thanks

Old 01-10-19, 10:53 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Type of valve for starts? either the make of valve or a photo.
When was the last time the brine tank was cleaned?
It could be the injector is plugged, the brine piston is not closing or there is build up in the salt tank...

Old 01-10-19, 04:42 PM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
[QUOTE][Type of valve for starts? either the make of valve or a photo.
When was the last time the brine tank was cleaned?
It could be the injector is plugged, the brine piston is not closing or there is build up in the salt tank... /QUOTE]

Sounds like several possibilities.

I've never touched it except to add salt. The resin tank is serviced annually but he never touches the brine tank beyond looking inside.

The water level with salt was only 3-4" below the he overflow drain so I removed some salt.

I noticed that the water level was considerably above the float, only inches from the top of the float assembly. The float itself moves up and down and seems to work properly.

I included photos of the control area and the valve I believe you're referring to.

Two important questions:

1. Is there a chance the tank will overflow through the overflow when the tank refills?
2. Should I remove the water /salt and clean it out?

Attached Images   
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 AM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
My softener was doing the same. Keep an eye on it. In my case, the main valve was leaking and I had to rebuild it. Got to the point where the tank was 80% full of water.

Old 01-11-19, 10:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
When was the last time that the service tech changed the brine piston? How new are the Brine piston , main piston and seal pack?
They do ware over time.
When the brine piston closes there should be no water getting by, if it is then the seal is bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: