Culligan rebuild and question about Venturis in softeners

Old 01-10-19, 11:27 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Culligan rebuild and question about Venturis in softeners

Hi,

I have already found a lot of great information on this website, which has me well on the way to fixing my sister's softener issue.

Essentially, my symptom is that the softener was not using any salt and the brine tank was completely stagnant. After testing, I found I get water flow into the brine tank during the draw stage of the regeneration. I dismantled the control valve and found two orings that were in very bad shape around the eductor. Post #9 of the following thread shows a picture which is EXACTLY the same as what happened to my setup. This thread may also be helpful since it is about the exact same control valve on my sister's softener.

https://www.diychatroom.com/f7/culli...umbing-155321/

I found good replacements for the bad orings ($7) and also found that the backwash restrictor (rubber plug with a small hole in the center on the drain outlet from the valve) had deteriorated/built up some mineral deposits. I bored out the center of the plug with a drill to approximately what I believe the original size was. I have yet to assemble and test, but I am thinking there may be more to this problem.

Another problem my sister has is bad water flow in their house. In fact, the water flow in the past has literally STOPPED on a couple of occasions. Since I have been working on the softener, I have bypassed the water supply and my sister has reported that the water pressure is stronger than she has ever seen in the 5 years they have owned the house. Essentially, bypassing the softener has instantaneously solved their water pressure issues.

A little more background. They have been aware of the problem with the softener and not addressed it for 2-3 years. So essentially, it has been sitting there without the ability to regen for years. The 19 year old resin combined with the fact it hasn't been regenerated in years leads me to think the resin bed is probably VERY clogged. So here are my questions:

1) While I think the orings were a contributing factor, is it possible to get water flowing into the brine tank during the draw stage because the resin bed is so clogged that it is backflowing out the venturi?
2) In a perfectly healthy softener, I assume it takes some water pressure to push the brine into the resin bed. What keeps the water from backflowing out the venturi and into the brine tank under normal circumstances? Perhaps under normal circumstance the pressure needed to push the brine through the resin is minimal and is simply overpowered by the mechanical design of a venturi?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for any responses!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-19, 11:48 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
For starts the best thing to do would be finding some one on Ebay that sells Culligan parts new or used and find the injector and it holder.. Culligan has a name but that should be enough for some one that sells Culligan parts. The blue is for the mark 89, the smaller one.
Drilling out the injector only killed it or making it kinda work......... but no where near what it should be doing.
Once the injector has been replaced a few regens with salt may bring the resin back or it may not. It is the cheapest way of finding out if it will live or not.
Maintenance is the key to any system with in the house or out side of the house.

Old 01-10-19, 12:16 PM
B
Akpsdvan,

Perhaps I didn't explain clearly. I did NOT drill out the injector. I drilled out a rubber piece (called a restricor in the manual) that is part of the drain assembly. Here is a link to a picture of what I drilled out:

https://imgur.com/a/88zqYJP

Obviously I pulled out the rubber piece, before I drilled out the small hole to make sure it was nice and clean.

John Kaprielian voted this post useful.
Old 01-10-19, 12:20 PM
Why drill the drain line flow control?

Old 01-10-19, 12:23 PM
If the drain line is plugged it will not pull brine, but most of the time the drain line has become pinched, kinked or frozen for that to happen. There could be broken resin in the drain line and clearing will fix that.
Putting a larger drain flow will have resin flowing to the drain and plugging the line and the main piston. Meaning that one gets to break the valve down and clean out the risen.

Old 01-10-19, 12:28 PM
B
I did not physically alter it at all. I selected a bit smaller than the hole and used it to scrap off the mineral deposites that had accumulated inside. The hole size was not altered, just cleaned.

Old 01-10-19, 12:39 PM
With the culligan not pulling brine it is possible that the injector is plugged or some thing is built up on it, the screen on the brine piston is dirty or the o rings on the brine piston are not working.
Like siphoning water from one tank to another the injector and piston both main and brine are a location for the siphon to take place , if any o rings are not working it will not work and brine will not be drawn.
Resin not getting cleaned will load up and flow will be cut down. If this goes on long enough the resin will not clean up and need to be replaced.
Depending on the age of the system it might be cheaper in the long run to replace it with a new Softener.

John Kaprielian voted this post useful.