Water softener dial and maintenance

Old 01-24-19, 12:01 PM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
Water softener dial and maintenance

I've had a few questions on my water softener and appreciate your help so far. I have two basic questions I'd appreciate some help on:
1. My water softener doesn't seem to be regenerating in that I haven't needed to add salt in some time. (Now I measured the salt level to be certain.) I've included a photo of my dial and would appreciate some info on when or how often my softener should be regenerating based on the dial.
2. A professional comes in annually and replaces the resin in my tank. Someone told me recently that resin should be replaced every 10 years or so. Which is correct?

Thanks,
Tony

Attached Images  
Old 01-24-19, 12:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Fleck 5600 Day, and it shows every 4 days. Now if it is keeping time and not using salt I would be looking for a salt bridge. Salt bridge is a layer that is not letting the salt above to drop down.
Start by removing salt and working down to find either the bridge or water.
Once a year? who pays for this?
I have resin that is going on 20 years and it is now getting ready for replacement.

Next?

Old 01-24-19, 04:24 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
A professional comes in annually and replaces the resin in my tank.
Are you sure of what your saying, your referring to the resin bed in the tank, literally taking the tank apart and pouring out the content?

I have heard of some absolute horror stories of people being taken by water treatment thieves but if this is true this is the worst.

Correct, resin beads last approx 10 years but can last much longer depending on water conditions!

Old 01-25-19, 04:47 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
Are you sure of what your saying, your referring to the resin bed in the tank, literally taking the tank apart and pouring out the content?
I was told the old material must be replaced periodically because of ion issues but don't recall specifics. Nothing is taken apart, though. the material is replaced through the cap on the tank.

Here's a photo of my set-up. Sorry about the photo uploading sideways.

Thoughts, please.

Attached Images  
Old 01-25-19, 07:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Either there is Calcite or Carbon going into the top tank.
Smell=carbon
Ph=calcite or mag ox or corsex..
That I could live with once a year.
Calcite and the like break down to correct the ph from under 7.0 to above 7.0 so that is possible to be added to once a year.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: