Well water has a 4.98 pH need soda ash injection?

Old 01-26-19, 03:22 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Well water has a 4.98 pH need soda ash injection?

I'm buying a house and the well water test came back failed with the only issue being the pH is 4.98,I found soda ash injection to be the best option, I just want to know if about setting up a system like that as it says you need to mix the soda ash into warm purified water does that mean i'd have to buy and heat up gallons of water every time i fill it or could I use the houses acidic water?

p.s. I'm new to well water

Old 01-26-19, 06:31 PM
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
With ph that low one might need both soda ash and calcite/mag ox to correct it.
There are different pumps to get the soda ash in to the water.
Tempered water for mixing in the soda ash as it will warm the water through a chem action ..
I would say find a local dealer that has worked with this and have them set something up to correct the ph.

Is there any iron or Mn in the water?

Also have the water tested for Alk, Ca, NO3 as they will have a part to play the correction of your water.

Old 01-26-19, 06:33 PM
L
Received 10 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Don't know what problems that low Ph would cause except if the house has copper pipes. Do you see any green stains on the porcelain sinks in the house? If so, you could be in for having to re-plumb sooner than would be necessary if the Ph was correct.

I use a Water Boss acid neutralizing machine that takes a combination of corosex and calcite to raise the Ph.

Good luck, others should be along with more detailed knowledge.

Old 01-26-19, 09:04 PM
C
I had a full water test done and all the metal contents were below requirements, I was reading soda ash depending on the solution can raise the pH by up to 2.5pH. don't recall any sink stains but can't check as I haven't closed on the house yet, but will have to replace some pipes especially a little galvanized pipe in the basement and will most likely use pex.

I will look into that system, I was hoping to find a system I could install myself as the cost hike of having someone else do the install is a little high.

iron

Old 01-26-19, 09:10 PM
C
Old 01-26-19, 09:31 PM
C
couldn't get link to work but I uploaded a page from the water test if that helps

Attached Images  
Old 01-27-19, 09:38 AM
A
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
if the house was vacant at the time of the test, I think you may want to retest it to see if it has changed any, after the well has been used some, ph meters are fairly inexpensive now if you do want an accurate way to test it yourself.

Old 01-27-19, 10:54 AM
C
It's occupied, and has never been vacant, the well was drilled just 6 years ago I believe its just the area lots of sandy soil, I plan to get one to calibrate the system I install, but don't know whether the soda ash solution injector or a calcite blend system
​​​​​​​
https://www.cleanwaterstore.com/acid...-cf-10x54.html

https://www.cleanwaterstore.com/soda...tion-tank.html

Old 01-27-19, 06:44 PM
Y
Received 22 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Take a water sample, only, for pH to another lab..... for a double check. I have heard that a large retention tank with calcite (maybe with corosex) will lower pH. How many in your home ?

Does the well driller's log give any clues ?

Old 01-28-19, 05:12 AM
L
Received 10 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Have you discussed the issue with the existing residents? What problems are they encountering with the current water situation? Do they have a treatment system you have not been made aware of?

Old 01-28-19, 08:34 AM
Y
I meant: RAISE pH, not lower pH.

Old 01-28-19, 11:00 AM
C
They currently have no water treatment system in place, some of the copper joints are turning green, but I plan to put in a new bathroom and don't want the acidic water staining or causing pinhole leaks behind walls.

I'm not sure about well drillers log?

I've heard calcite magnesium blend would be needed for that low of ph but will raise the water hardness which, or using a soda ash injection system which wouldn't harden the water. Looking at the metals in the test the water seems pretty soft

Current homeowner is an older women that has not been very helpful and doesn't respond well 🤷*♂️

Old 01-28-19, 05:42 PM
Y
The well driller's log will tell you about the soil composition at various stages of drilling. How deep is the well and when did the sandy soil show up ? And what are all the various compositions of your soil.....at different depths ?

Old 02-03-19, 05:08 PM
C
I don't have access to that info, i did talk to some master techs about the well water, they recommended a calcite blend due to the ease of maintenance and since the test i sent them showed the water as soft it wouldn't need a softener in most cases just wanted to update, once I install and test I'll update

Old 05-31-19, 07:51 AM
M
Check this site out for great info

I have a similar issue with acidic well water and iron water. I used soda ash injected into the well line before the pressure tank to increase the ph over +2 ph and then have a iron water filter before the cold water line reaches the rest of the house pipes. For 6 years now no real issues. There is a bit of maintenance to keep the soda ash mixture refilled, but get the largest supply tank possible and becomes a 4 time a year chore. https://waterfiltersofamerica.com/acid-neutralizers/ Hope your project goes smoothly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: