Water Softener and RO Water Maintenance Guidelines

Old 02-06-24, 08:05 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Water Softener and RO Water Maintenance Guidelines

I am debating whether to continue having a company service my water softener and RO system. I recently got a quote of $320 and while it isn't a ton of money, it seems straight forward DYI. Is there recommendations on the various maintenance that should be performed?

5 Micron Sediment Filter $5.00
3 Micron Carbon Chlorine/Sediment Filter $30
5 Micron Carbon Chlorine/Lead Filter $25
Alkaline Post Filter Alkaline Filter 2.5x10 - 7 Stage Clear $115
Service Call Labor $150

Old 02-06-24, 08:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
Both are super easy to maintain. The softener occasionally needs salt added. I fill mine 2 or 3 times a year. No, need to hire someone for that.

The RO should periodically have it's filters changed. It's a simple matter of replacing the old and installing the new. Not rocket science and does not need a professional. I think most service companies recommend a more frequent filter change than needed. After all, they make money by changing your filters. So, you may be able to longer between filter changes. I do not use a alkaline filter/cartridge with my system because it is not needed with my water.

Old 02-06-24, 10:11 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is what I figured. I have like 5-8 bags of salt on hand at all times so it's a quick refill every 4-6 months. With that said, do I just remove the filters and replace with similar? I don't think it's brand specific.

Old 02-06-24, 10:26 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,327 Upvotes on 2,069 Posts
Most residential RO systems use compatible filters within reason and I have used various brands over the years. The last time I changed the membrane I went with a filter having twice the output of the previous.

Before changing filters I get a clean 5 gallon bucket and half fill it with clean water. Then when changing filters look inside each filter housing. Usually, only the first one looks like it needs cleaning but I clean them all using the water in the bucket. I have a wand type brush that I keep just for the job. Then replace the filters and reassemble. Then I'll purge the first half gallon of water to remove any charcoal dust but you may need to flush longer to get absolutely clear water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: