Installing cat door into metal garage door

Old 05-16-16, 01:25 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing cat door into metal garage door

how would you cut a 8" x 6" square out of a metal garage door? What tool do I need? I've got a Milwaukee 12v jigsaw but I doubt that has the strength. Would the 18v work?

Is there a saw blade for the angle grinder? I've got one of those but that seems dangerous unless there was a specific attachment guard for the blade. Or do I need one of those smaller hand circular saws?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-16, 01:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
Your 12v jigsaw would work with a metal cutting blade, you just might go through a few batteries.

An angle grinder with a cut off wheel would also work but great care should be used as they can get away from you quite easy.

Depending on the thickness of the metal you could even cut it out with some tin snips, you would just need a hole to get started.

Really, any tool designed to cut metal will work.

Old 05-16-16, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
If you use an angle grinder you will want a .045" x 4 1/2" metal cutoff wheel... kind of like this one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66205[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 05-16-16, 02:47 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'd use a circular saw with a plywood blade mounted backwards (teeth the wrong way). Have a helper give the blade an occasional squirt of WD-40 as you cut.

Position the saw correctly to start your plunge cut and you should be able to make a 6" cut without moving the saw except for the plunge.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-16-16 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-16-16, 04:18 PM
J
Thank you(min character requirement met)

Old 05-16-16, 04:21 PM
J
Thanks. Yeah, I've got those. Never quite sure what they were for. I've stuck them on various things I needed to cut and surprisingly even tho I never knew what it was for they've worked for a lot of things. Cool

Old 05-16-16, 04:27 PM
J
Interesting idea. I could try this too but I don't have a helper. What is a plung. Google didn't know either. I'll probably just try the cutoff wheel but I'm still curious if your idea would work well. Aiming the saw along the line seems it might be tricky. Either way I think I'll raise the garage door to get an easy angle at least level with my head to get at the work area(bottom of the garage door). Kitties gonna love me for this!

Old 05-16-16, 05:07 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What is a plunge.
A typo. Should have been plunge. Note it was spelled correctly the first time. I meant plunge cut. Just typed to fast.

Attachment 66208

I'd suggest using C clamps in the rails to keep the garage door from moving up and remove the panel so you can lay it flat across a couple of saw horses to make your cut.

Old 06-28-16, 07:37 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I don't have any construction advice - I installed a cat door in a window screen using plywood, a different situation. Just wanted to mention it took my cats about a week and a half to get used to the door. I like the 'one-way' feature - when I need to get them in through the door one at a time they can't get back out.

Old 06-28-16, 07:47 PM
J
Yes, the one way feature comes in handy.

Just wanted to conclude I did it and there was no need to secure the door or remove any panels. Mine at least was sturdy enough, standard garage door as far I can tell, to hold while I used an angle grinder with cutoff wheel for most of it and jigsaw for the corners and other smaller cuts and drill for holes. Worked out perfect except for the SWFL mosquitos taking full advantage of the situation.