propane torch head issue

Old 09-06-18, 12:20 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
propane torch head issue

I'd like to get this torch head off this propane bottle but somehow it's on there so tight I can't unscrew it by just simply grabbing the head and grabbing the bottle and trying to untwist off there. I tried both ways, uncertain if it would be a left-hand thread (I think it is, not sure though) but it's a no-go for me. Thought about sticking the bottle or the head in the bench vise to hold it better while I try to twist but that didn't seem like a good idea putting the squeeze on any of it. So any suggestions/advice in that regard would be appreciated.

Also, believe it or not, the knurled knob on the top of the head that is supposed to turn to open/close, is stuck tight in the closed position and despite my efforts to turn it is similarly a no go, it will not budge either. If I could get the head off and get the knob to to turn I might be able to disassemble the head to see if I could figure out what's wrong or whether I could repair it.

As I recall this torch head has never worked properly (since I acquired it second-hand) to open/close; something wrong internally with it. I'd probably want to replace it with the type of torch head that also included the automatic trigger lighter; not too excited about how this one works (or actually doesn't work). The label on top, incidentally, says "TurboTorch" and stamped in the metal collar of it is "Wingaershefk PMK " and a patent number.

Old 09-06-18, 12:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
The threads are standard righty-tighty lefty-loosey.
Those are inexpensive torches. If it didn't work from the start..... scrap it.

Old 09-06-18, 02:22 PM
Okay will scrap that torch head, if I can get that dang thing unscrewed. Guess I'll try harder, somehow. Even though I already used every ounce of strength I had to grab it with my bare hands and twist with no luck. And I'm not a weakling, it's like stuck tight. maybe it's cross-threaded on there or some dang thing. Thanks

Old 09-06-18, 03:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Have you tried using channel locks?

Old 09-06-18, 03:42 PM
Have you tried using channel locks?
Probably will try, with two pair, maybe if I have a big enough one to fit/hold the cylinder (which I'm pretty sure I don't have). Otherwise maybe I'll have somebody hold tight to the cylinder while I try to turn the head using channel locks. Will keep ya posted!

Old 09-06-18, 04:00 PM
Update: Having one guy hold the cylinder and me using channel locks on the head collar worked. whew

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: