Filter for Well

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-15, 10:07 AM
J
Received 3 Votes on 1 Post
Filter for Well

Hi. I have a well. The water runs through an acid neutralizer because it is really acidic but no other filters. Recently we've had problems with sand coming up from the well and starting to clog some piping. It totally clogged the pipe right at the acid neutralizer so we got that cleaned out.

I've heard there is some sort of filter that will filter out sand that I can install at some point before the acid neutralizer. I imagine it is important to be able to easily clean the filter out.

Any suggestions of a brand and maybe how to install it. I'd like to try and do it myself.

thanks a whole lot

Old 08-31-15, 11:10 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have a Rusco spin down sand separator and it is well made and works well. Different mesh screens are available; I use 100 micron. It has a drain on the bottom with a valve so it can be easily flushed. The water pressure flushes out the sand easily. You can pipe it to a drain, but until I get a round tuit I just hold a bucket under it. I have a whole house cartridge filter after that to get fine particulates.

But....a sudden and large increase in sand in the water may indicate a well issue so you may want to have it checked.

Old 08-31-15, 01:00 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 749 Votes on 688 Posts
Is your well casing steel or plastic?

In my county steel well casings are no longer permitted. The soil in some areas are pretty corrosive and steel casings can rust through in less than 10 years. If that's the case sleeving might resolve the problem.

Old 03-07-17, 08:17 PM
J
Received 3 Votes on 1 Post
I finally had someone come out and test the well and they said we are not having a sand/well problem. He said to just be careful how we use water and not use water for really long periods of time without breaks for the water to fill up again. I wouldn't mind still putting a filter on to get a feel for how much sand is accumulating - guess there is a little for sure. but not a lot at all.

Old 03-07-17, 11:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,331 Votes on 1,230 Posts
With a well there is always some sand. It just comes along with the package.

Excessive water use can stir up sand especially if you have a replenishing issue.
That would usually mean that you should refrain from outside watering too.

Old 03-08-17, 03:35 AM
Received 427 Votes on 398 Posts
Here are some of the sand filters mentioned, have not used them but have heard good reviews.

https://www.ohiopurewater.com/catego...egories_id=330

For a whole house filter, these are the Pentek Big Blue, I have two of them, one for the GEO furnace, one for the house.

https://www.ohiopurewater.com/produc...ducts_id=21337

What I like about these is they use a simple polypropylene filter element that I buy in bulk for $2 each so I dont feel bad replacing every 2-3 months.

Old 03-08-17, 06:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 749 Votes on 688 Posts
I have a "screen" enclosing my pump. It's a 4' long tube of PVC and sealed at both ends with the pump inside. There are extremely fine slits in the side to allow water to enter and the slits are fine enough to stop sand. Since the filter is hard and the slits have a nice sharp edge the sand does not get into the slits so when the pump turns off the sand falls off making it self cleaning. Mine's been down the hole for 15 years and I've never had any trouble with it.

Old 03-08-17, 10:21 AM
Z
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
Jane Ė

I have an Acid Neutralizer Filter also. You probably already knew this but I just wanted to make sure: you have to makes sure there is no filter between the well pump and the pressure switch. My understanding is that the kind Pilot Dane showed however are fine.

Itís just that if you put a filter between the pump and the pressure switch you can put stress on your pump as the filter naturally accumulates material an impedes flow, and if the resistance becomes too great (you donít change the filter in a timely manner) you can actually burn up the pump as the pump will continually try to satisfy the pressure switch demand, but cannot because of the blockage at the filter. The pump would just continue to run and push.

Just wanted to mention that because I remember other threads where people actually put sediment filters upstream of their pressure tank and pressure switch and that caused problems.

Old 10-21-18, 08:57 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had issues with sand/silt/rust coming into my lines and causing issues with appliances. We installed a tripple filter between the water tank and water softener and noticed a difference in the water quality within 24hrs. The water was even softer than it was just running through the water softener. Our salt was lasting longer. We weren't going through soap so fast. The dishwater was cleaning better also. Our water seemed to taste good when it was going through our reverse osmosis system before we installed the whole house filter but after installing it the drinking water tasted even better. I found a link with a review to the one we installed. Hopefully you find it helpful.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 10-22-18 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Link removed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: