Why would exterior pvc drain vent be capped?

Old 02-07-16, 01:01 PM
K
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would exterior pvc drain vent be capped?

Hi there,
I moved into my house about 18 months ago. I recently had issues with my sump pump, particularly the check valve breaking. It was brand new and should not have had any problems. However, water was shooting with force all over my basement.
Check valve has been replaced, but I had a plumber come out to try and figure out why that occurred. He discovered that it likely occurred due to the exterior pvc drain vent being capped off by the previous owners. Cap was removed and I am now going to get additional tubing to get the water draining away from the house.
However, why would anyone cap it off?

Attached Images  
Old 02-07-16, 01:13 PM
C
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
In your photo, the line from the sump pump comes out through the brick? If you have water coming out where the red arrow is, it probably means the actual drain for the sump pump, which looks like it goes underground somewhere, is plugged or restricted, forcing water to go out by the arrow. Previous owner probably capped to prevent water from shooting all over the yard there.

Do you know where the pipe that goes into the ground goes? That's where you need to look I believe.

Old 02-07-16, 01:29 PM
K
Thank you so much for your reply. I just recently took the cap off. It was on for the past 18 months.
There is only a little bit of water that comes out where the red arrow is. The plumber thought that the main pump you see coming from the brick is the is the main pipe from the sump pump, and the red arrow pipe is just an overflow pipe. Plumber said that with it being capped off, there was a build up of pressure within the pipe, causing the check valve to break.

I am so sorry if I am not making sense. I am new to all of this and am trying to learn so that I do not have to pay hundreds of dollars every time something happens. I just want to be sure there isn't anything major that I could be missing. There are a few walls leaks in the basement. Perhaps they capped this off to prevent further water from seeping into the foundation?

Old 02-07-16, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,187 Likes on 2,862 Posts
Plumber said that with it being capped off, there was a build up of pressure within the pipe, causing the check valve to break.
I don't agree with that statement at all. A build up of pressure could cause a poorly glued fitting to come apart. That is the likely problem.

It would be nice to leave that cap off at the Y so that the drain line was kept drained thru gravity. Nothing to freeze then. As someone mentioned..... it is extremely likely that the line going down is clogged..... or possibly even frozen. I'd agree with that 100%. You need to find out where the pump drains too. That is job one.

Old 02-07-16, 02:48 PM
C
Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts
You could stick the end of a hose in the pipe where you removed the cap and run it for a while. The drain line that goes underground probably goes either to a storm sewer (if you have them in your area) or perhaps to daylight (meaning to open air somewhere of lower elevation where the water can just drain out on the ground). In some areas they may go to what is called a dry well, which is pretty much a gravel filled hole in the ground. In any case, the drain has to go somewhere to dispose of the water and it's important to know that the line isn't plugged (or frozen, as Pete mentioned). If you run the hose for 10 minutes or so and the water doesn't back up, then the line is probably clear. I would leave the cap off for sure. A little water may come out that way even if the main drain line isn't plugged, but it shouldn't be much. And it wouldn't hurt to deflect it farther away from the foundation.

Old 02-07-16, 03:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,580 Likes on 1,416 Posts
IMO its not a vent and probably never was... its just a cleanout. Lines that will likely need to be snaked will have cleanouts.

Old 02-07-16, 03:25 PM
K
Thank you so much. The sump pump is working, but you think the reason the check valve busted was because of a clog in the main line? Ugh. I hope not! You may be right. There is some water that comes out where the red arrow is when the pump runs, but it is not a lot. I think the main pump goes to the sewer, but I need to confirm that.

Old 02-07-16, 03:28 PM
K
We have storm sewers. That is a good idea. I really want to know that it isn't clogged.

Old 02-07-16, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,580 Likes on 1,416 Posts
Sump pumps can rarely-if ever- be legally run directly into the same sewer drain that your home is. They normally will either drain into the lawn or street. (Storm sewer)

Old 02-07-16, 03:43 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
If that had been meant as a cleanout, why did they glue in the 90[SUP]o[/SUP] bend? A cleanout would have simply had the thread adapter glued into the branch of the wye.

Please explain exactly how the check valve was broken. Was it merely leaking back or did the body break into pieces? Did it have screw threads, was glued or perhaps clamped in place? Maybe a picture of the new check valve with a description of how it is different (if it is) from the original.

Old 02-07-16, 04:30 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
A sump would not even need a clean out.
Even it there was one installed that one would be wrong.
In your area any drain for a sump pump should have been run below the frost line.
Even is the line froze the check valve should not have been effected.
More likely the pump would have burned up.

Old 02-07-16, 05:43 PM
V
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sometimes, it's just to inhibit rodents and snakes from making easy entry when you're not looking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: