Low water pressure: well pump/pressure tank?

Old 06-01-16, 07:44 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low water pressure: well pump/pressure tank?

First started with very little water pressure through out the house. One bathroom was a trickle.coming from the faucet, other bathroom was about a pencil width stream....onto trying to fix the problem
First tried shutting off water supply from the well pump by turning the round wheel knob. Knob was stuck so I used a pipe wrench to get it to start turning. It kept turning clockwise for a good 2-3 minutes before I finally stopped...water was still coming so I hit the breaker for the well pump and that shut off the water.
Then I drained the water from the pressure tank (Amtrol WX-202) and checked the pressure, it was at 30 psi so I added air until I got it to 38 psi which is written on top of the tank, I'm guessing by whoever installed the tank.
Then I flipped the well pump breaker back on and the water started coming in again. The pressure gauge filled back up to between 50-60 psi which is what it read before all this. I turned the round wheel knob counter clockwise to fully open the water supply...again kept turning and turning and didn't seem like more or less water was coming in. (Knob and valvestem are turning, not just the knob)
I came upstairs to check all the sinks and no change in the pressure...still the same BUT the pressure only lasted 20-30 sec then it was GONE. I ran downstairs and the gauge on the pressure tank was at zero. I checked the tank using a tire pressure gauge on top and it still read 38 psi. I shut off all the water and it sounded like the tank was refilling with water. Once it stopped, I turned the washer on and the water lasted for 10 sec MAX then came to a trickle....HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-16, 08:02 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you don't have sufficient water coming from your well. When you emptied the tank (pressure=0) and then turned the breaker back on, how long did it take for the tank to fill and the pump to shut off?

What kind of well pump do you have? Is it in the well (submersible) or above ground somewhere (jet pump)? Do you know how deep your well is?

Also, please add your location to your profile as it helps to know where you are located.

Lack of sufficient water could be a well going dry, a pump problem, or a leak.

If you can get the tank to fill up to full pressure again and the pump shuts off, just let it sit without using any water and see if the pressure holds steady or drops.

[Edit] also sounds like you may have a problem with your valve, but probably not main issue here.

Old 06-01-16, 10:19 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It took 16 minutes to fill up and the pump.shut off. Not sure what kind of pump. It'seems inside the well. Not sure how deep well is. I just moved in and don't have all the details.
My cousin is coming over tomorrow to take a look at it. He dabbled in plumbing for a bit so hopefully he can shed some light on the situation. I will leave it sit over night and see how everything looks in the morning.
Location is Whitewater, WI
Thanks!

Last edited by jsontag; 06-01-16 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Add location
Old 06-01-16, 10:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,185 Votes on 1,097 Posts
Thanks for the additional information. The problem is not the tank.

The problem appears to be your pump is failing or your well is low on available water.
Unfortunately it looks like you'll be needing to pull the pump up.

You might want to check and make sure full voltage is leaving the pressure switch and going to the pump. Most likely you have a 240v pump.

While you are working on it limit your water usage.
Probably not a bad idea to fill some buckets for general use.

You just moved in.... was the well tested before you moved in ?

Old 06-02-16, 06:37 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Agree with Pete. 16 minutes is way too long for normally functioning system. It might take a couple of minutes to fill a completely empty tank, but normal cycles are usually under a minute. So as I said before, either a pump issue, a leak, or a well going dry. Sometimes the pump just needs to be lowered a few feet (if possible) because the water level has fallen. And Pete's suggestion to check the power to the well is a good one.

Pulling the pump can be a DIY job if it's shallow, but you really have to know what you are doing. Losing a pump down the well is never a good thing.

Might be best to call a plumber specializing in wells.

Old 06-02-16, 08:25 AM
A
Received 88 Votes on 82 Posts
Ten seconds and less than a gallon of water out of a faucet and the water pressure drops back to zero suggests that the pressure tank was not preset correctly or is still waterlogged.

Old 06-02-16, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,185 Votes on 1,097 Posts
There maybe a problem with the pressure tank but it is not causing the reduced water flow or the 16 minute refill period. I didn't want the OP to run out and get a tank hoping that would fix the current problem.