Heavy truck -- Damaged septic drainfield

Old 06-20-16, 10:09 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heavy truck -- Damaged septic drainfield

Long story short I had some debris from a fallen tree hauled from my yard. The guy who hauled the debris brought a truck and accidentally backed over a small portion of the septic drainfield. He did not touch the tank or the line from the tank to the field. The septic lateral line/finger according to the county is about 4 ft underground in clay soil. I have a 10 year old serial system (same age as the house) with a pump which pumps the effluent up hill. I now see effluent surfacing in a stream like fashion in one small part of the field. Almost like there's a bad underground sprinkler. The rest of the field is visually dry. I called out a plumbing company who without any digging or camera inspection just said I should get a new field after I explained what happened. Does this normally call for a whole new field? I figured the damaged portion could just be repaired. I believe I have "infiltrator" lines and pvc. I am going to be calling out another company, but is this what I should expect? I am in a rural area with clay soil. If it can be repaired approx. how much should I expect it to cost?

Old 06-20-16, 11:45 AM
V
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope you warned the debris hauler to NOT drive over that area; so you may have recourse against them.

As a Real Estate Broker, I recently had a Client who failed to warn a Propane Tank replacement company to NOT drive over her Leach Field and they were protected from liability for the damage done.

Old 06-20-16, 05:26 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
If only part of the system was damaged then only that part will need to be repaired. Many municipalities will allow the repair of a leach field that has been physically damaged.

There is no easy repair if your drain field was damaged. I would contact several septic system installers and have them inspect your system and provide estimates for a repair.

Old 06-22-16, 02:02 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. Do you have an approximate idea of what it should cost to repair a line?

Old 06-23-16, 05:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
It's impossible to say since we don't even know where you are located let alone what type leach field you have or how much damage might have been done.

Old 06-23-16, 06:45 AM
V
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing can be said . . . . it will probably costs a whole lot less IF you can make the originally septic engineering or the design plan available so that the entity making the repair knows what was originally installed and what the stratification of the soils was in the absorption area.

Ideally, the original Engineer or Installer is still among the living and can be hired to redo or replicate the damaged area . . . . permitting would be simpler, and you'd minimize the "scratching your head time" which will save money in the long run.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: