Well water went dirty

Old 07-17-16, 07:24 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well water went dirty

Our well is about 220 feet deep with submersible pump, I'm not sure what level the pump is at. The well has casing to about 100 feet and then rock. No shortage of water ever.

Recently we refilled the hot tub (200 gallons). The water in the tub was fine.

Shortly after, the water became clouded with silt and this has persisted for a few days.

I am pretty sure that the filling of the hot tub placed an unusual load on the well and this stirred up silt from the bottom of the well.

My question is: what to do? Changing filters has not stopped it. How about running an outside tap; would that maybe run all the sediment out? Or, is it better to just wait for it to settle?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-16, 07:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You filled a hot tub from a well? All at one time? The well had no time to recover from that purge of use, so it is drawing water from all the cavities in the earth it can to stabilize. The best thing you can do is use water minimally and let it settle back down. The more you draw from it in this state the more sediment you will have.

Old 07-17-16, 08:35 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Maybe your drawdown of the local aquifer (very local) just exposed a vein that had heretofore gone unused, and you drew out some water and silt from it that had been sitting for decades . . . . and as the water table refilled, it reverted back to what has become normal.

Weeks from now, it should just be a remote memory.