Water filter for whole house

Old 07-30-16, 06:19 AM
B
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Water filter for whole house

For same reason - maybe recent landscaping is to blame - my home well is contaminated with clay dust. What is the cost effective solution to filter the dust out? There is a 1" pipe I can easily access at the pump to add a filter.

Old 07-30-16, 06:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You would have to do it on the 3/4" side exiting your tank, as I have not seen many with 1" fittings, but I like putting a 5 micron filter (rope type) and tandem it with a 1 micron carbon filter. Put brass ball valves on either side so you can turn the water completely off to change filters.

Old 07-30-16, 07:26 AM
B
Thanks! Can you suggest where to purchase these filters from and what brand/model should I get?

Old 07-30-16, 09:24 AM
B
As always, the whole thing is most confusing for a newbie. Will this do?

Old 07-30-16, 09:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I'm going to have to get something to filter my house water also. Just installed a new kitchen faucet yesterday and before the day was over a piece of debris [PVC shard] blocked the hot water side where it wouldn't shut off

Buying a filter similar to the one shown appears to be the cheapest option. My only concern is how often you may or may not have to change the filter. When my city water goes out I often get trash in the lines

Old 07-30-16, 10:58 AM
Bitjam, the filter system you showed will work, but not on the 1" pipe and you can't neck the 1" pipe down to 3/4", so placing it after the tank will be necessary where you have 3/4" piping. I would NOT, however use the PVC ball valve. Whoever invented and developed those things should have been tarred and feathered before they hit the market. Nothing but troubles. Use Brass valves.

Old 07-30-16, 11:29 AM
B
Strangely enough there is 1" pipe even after the tank. I got this one for $200 shipped (scratched, but new - yes I am cheap.)

Old 07-30-16, 01:21 PM
It will work, but if you can find clear canisters at some point, you can see what is happening rather than having to guess.

Old 07-30-16, 03:46 PM
B
Yes, I was thinking about that. I figure decreased flow will be the indicator.

Old 07-30-16, 04:30 PM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I was once given a whole house filter as a gift . . . . a Polident I believe it was. And because it was a "gift" I had to use it to keep peace with the giver.

This was before the industry standardized and most all filter cartridges are interchangeable.

I just remember spending an arm and a leg for cartridges which would work in my Polident Filter . . . . very similar to what was readily available in most hardware stores; but different enough so that you had to use theirs and only theirs.

I'm so glad I moved away and was able to say that the Polident had to be left for the new Owners of that house (not quite true), and I now have a generic filter that uses the industry standard cartridges.

And Polident is out of that business anyway . . . . good riddance !

Old 04-10-18, 10:12 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with chandler.
A 5 micron big blue sediment should work to get the microscopic debris filtered out. If you have other problems such as taste and odor issues, install carbon filters as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: