Low water pressure

Old 10-13-16, 05:01 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low water pressure

For the past several weeks or more, my pressure tank has stayed at 20-22 psi, running the submersible well pump continuously. First I replaced the pressure switch (a 20/40) but that didnt solve the problem. Then I replaced the 23 year old pressure tank with a new pressure tank (20 gallon). This also didn't solve the problem. I then went back and made sure the tube joining the pressure switch to the main pipes wasn't clogged. It wasn't. I then turned the power off to the well and after about 6 hours the pressure dropped from 22 psi to 18 psi, not running any faucets or flushing toilets during that time period. I'm now thinking about putting in a new water pump, but before I undertake this big project I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. Is a 4 psi drop over 6 hours a concern that there is a leak somewhere between the well and the house? I've not seen any extra wetness in the lawn where the water line would be. Just want to be very confident its a well pump issue before I put in a new one.

Old 10-13-16, 05:49 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Could be a leak. Depending on how far underground the line is, you may not see wet spot. Or the up pipe from the pump could have a split and the water is just flowing back into the well. Could be a bad pump or clogged inlet screen.

Did you have the main shutoff between the pressure tank and your house plumbing turned off when you did your test to make absolutely sure there was no water use in the house (like a humidifier or ice maker, etc)?

Old 10-15-16, 03:58 AM
G
Yep had the main shutoff all the way off. Hadn't thought of the inlet screen being clogged. Thats at the bottom of the well too with the pump right?

Old 10-15-16, 07:04 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Yes, usually part of the pump. Are you sure the water level in the well hasn't fallen below the pump?

Old 10-25-16, 10:14 AM
G
Low water pressure

Wanted to update on my low water pressure/pump-running-constantly issue.
I put in a new pump last weekend and it solved the problem. The old pump wasn't visibly clogged on the outside so I guess it was an impeller issue. Since the water line was only 5' below the pitless adapter, I was pleased at how easy it was, thanks to the water's help, pulling the pump and the 108' of drop pipe up. Very glad I tackled this project myself. Learned I had a 122' deep well in the process.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: