Ok to install sump pump into clean ejector pit?

Old 10-27-16, 09:59 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok to install sump pump into clean ejector pit?

Handy, but learning... put in a back-up sump pump years ago...always wondered what that second pit by the basement drain hole was, next to water heater...unscrewed the cover, saw another sump pump, but no inlet from outside drain system...just a second pipe (beside the pump-out) leading into the pit..and the floor drain hole leads into the pit also.

Lucky for me, I discovered the pump is dead, had some standing light brown water.

I didn't know about ejector pumps, so went to Menards and picked up their Barracuda brand 1/2 hp sump pump, installed it, closed the cover. Then I learned about ejector pumps.

I don't have any basement plumbing fixtures, no toilet, no shower, no sink...is it ok to keep the sump pump in the ejector pit? No sewage goes there...the in pipe is probably from the either a combination of dishwasher and washing machine...water in pit was not crystal clear, it was light brown...but no chunks of anything....

too lazy to swap it out again...but got a finished basement with a nice floor, would be willing to do it if necessary...should the sump pump hold up fine in the ejector pit, given no basement toilet? i wish i could take a picture of the bad one i tossed..but looking at the pictures online of ejector pumps, it looks like i just had a regular sump pump in there for 11 years of home's life...

Old 10-28-16, 07:25 AM
C
Received 186 Upvotes on 151 Posts
I think you should at least investigate enough to determine for sure what drains into the sump. In a basement with no bathroom, likely candidates would be any floor drain or laundry drain. Really any drains down there at all. You should be able to pour a bucket of water into all the drains and determine if they drain to the sump.

But I live in a house where the upstairs laundry drains into a basement pump, just because there was no way to connect to the normal drains because of beams being in the way. So it's possible it could be something other than a basement drain. Normally you would see the pipes in such a situation, however.

A normal sump pump is usually ok for anything other than toilet waste.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: