Making a D-box lid for septic

Old 01-18-17, 09:26 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Making a D-box lid for septic

Hello. I had my septic inspected. They went into the d-box but cracked the lid. Now I need to replace it. It's cement. They put thick card board and 2 by 4s over it! Question is has anyone ever build a lid out of cement or concrete and/ or what else can I use for a lid?

Old 01-18-17, 11:12 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Check in your area for a septic tank manufacturer. Because of their size and weight most tanks are made somewhat locally. Even my small town has someone who makes them. Contact that company and see if they have lids. Mine has them in a variety of sizes and they are pretty cheap.

If you want to make your own it's not rocket science. It's just a square, rectangle or circle of concrete. You can embed rebar or steel mesh for more strength and/or use fiber reinforced concrete. If you make your own think about casting in a lifting handle. A bent piece of rebar works well.

Old 01-18-17, 11:40 PM
E
I made one

I just laid a circle of plywood over my tank about the size of the intended lid, Tied up some rebar for strength, in case it ever needed lifted & included some lifting loops of rebar. Used the dirt for the edge of the form. I also put a hanging basket flower pot in the middle and filled it with concrete as well which made a nice clean out, the inside made the plug. That too got a lifting handle. The plywood was left there, no doubt all gone by now. If you need access while the plywood is still there, you can just take a metal bar and break through at the clean out.

Old 01-19-17, 01:17 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
They make plastic lids for when you need to install a riser so it's not 2' below the surface, check local tank supplier!

Old 01-23-17, 09:40 AM
K
Picture and thanks or any more suggestions

Name:  IMG_2043.jpg
Views: 2207
Size:  50.5 KB

Here is a picture of the described d-box that needs the lid.

Old 01-23-17, 12:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
First choice would be to buy one. After that just make one the size you need.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: