Install Sump Help

Old 02-17-17, 05:41 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Install Sump Help

Hi All, easy one today.

I need to install a sump pump in my basement. The hole is already there but I have a few questions based on the photos I have attached.

1.) There is a piece of rebar sticking up around the center of the hole. What could this be for? Do sump pumps slide onto the rebar to hold them in place?

2.) Based upon the 2 pictures should I run the drain up and out the side of the house through the wood or just put a hole through the cinder block?

I can run it next to the existing water faucet or lower through the cinders straight out to the bed. Going through the cinder block would be less of a hill to climb but I am not sure that matters to the pump.

3.) After I run the pvc out side should I run it down the side of the house and when I get to the bed elbow it and add a piece of pvc to run it over the bed and out?

4.) What size pump do you think will work best? I have to use my HD card so I will have to buy it there. Any recommendations will be helpful. Thanks

Name:  20170217_080624-A.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  23.2 KBName:  20170217_082451-A.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  34.0 KB

All help is appreciated in advance.

Old 02-17-17, 06:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
1. I have never seen rebar in a sump. Maybe someone just stuck it there during construction or maybe it was used to push down or help hold down the plastic liner?

2. I would go through the block wall. It's less head for the pump to overcome so it will pump more water. Also with so little head you could get away with no check valve.

3. Where you run it depends on your property which we can't see from your pictures. You want the water moving away from your house. If you have a decent slope/grade you could just dump it a few feet from the house on the surface. If you don't have a good slope to quickly carry the water away then I'd run a longer hose and discharge the water far enough away that it is below the elevation of your sump bottom.

4. The size of the pump will depend on how much water you need to remove. You will have very little head to overcome so a small one should be sufficient. I would look more at quality than horsepower. Personally I am NOT fond of the big home center's store brands. I would pick a reputable brand named pump if they carry them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: