Identify and help with rough-in for grinder pit

Old 03-11-17, 11:38 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Identify and help with rough-in for grinder pit

Hello, I need some help to correctly identify rough-ins in my basement.

Here are some pics:

In the foreground is the grinder pit, an directly above in the floor joists are two pipes, one marked vent, and one marked drain. I believe I understand that part. Directly behind the pit is for the tub/shower, and then to the left is for the toilet. I think the pipe behind the toilet is for the vanity drain, although I wonder why it was put so close to the toilet?

Name:  IMG_20170311_121039677.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  16.1 KB

Here's a close up of the tub/shower. What I'm wondering here is how does the tub connect? Is the pipe sticking up for both drain and overflow?

Name:  IMG_20170311_121056073.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  18.0 KB

here's a closeup of the toilet/vanity drain. It this normal for the drain pipe to be so close to the toilet? Will I need to run further pipe, since the vanity will be to the left of the toilet?

Name:  IMG_20170311_121100594.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  17.4 KB

Here's to the pipes in the floor joists above the grinder pit. The one on the left is marked vent, while the one on right is marked drain. I think I understand how these connections work when I install the grinder pump.

I forgot to mention that I have a 4 inch pipe entering the grinder pit, and believe everything (toilet, vanity and tub, all drain into the pit.

Name:  IMG_20170311_121120877.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  19.2 KB

Again, my main concerns are how does the tub get installed, and the vanity?

Appreciate any and all help on this. Thanks,

Old 03-11-17, 03:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The back wall pipe is a wet vent and will have a sweep wye attached to it going to the right to tie into your sink vanity. It is in line with the toilet because it was easy to install. The tub pit has your ptrap in it. If you dig out the gravel you will find it. That is where your shower/tub will dump. The pipe coming at the edge of the tub pit is the vent. Now you should have a capped pipe in the ceiling ( I believe I see it in the bottom pix). That is your vent and will be tied to the two vents you have at opposite ends of the bathroom.

The toilet will be framed behind to allow 12 1/2" or so from FINISHED wall.

Let us know if you have more questions.

Old 03-12-17, 09:41 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply chandlelr,

So If I understand what you're saying, I'll have three vent pipes going to the capped vent pipe in the ceiling (floor joists)? One from the vanity, one from the tub, and one from the grinder pit? Since I'm on a septic system, I thought the only vent needed was the one from the grinder pit. thanks for helping me understand this.

Jim

Old 03-12-17, 09:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I don't know about grinder pits. We don't use them here in the mountains, but it could be that one of the pipes in your joist bays above is a vent eventually going up, and the other is an evacuation pipe for the pit. Here again, not sure how high the pump will lift. If that is the case, all the vents will tie together into one in the joist bays and the evacuation will take place on the other one. Let the others chime in who have experience with them before committing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: