Do I really need a deep cycle marine battery for a sump pump backup system?

Old 04-04-17, 12:49 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I really need a deep cycle marine battery for a sump pump backup system?

I picked up a cheap sump pump backup system, "Basement Watchdog", which recommends I use a deep cycle marine battery. I already have a brand-new car battery kept on a maintenance charge that isn't being used and I want to use that.

I don't doubt that a deep cycle marine battery would be better, but can someone tell me why? I simply can't afford more battery right now, would this one work in a pinch?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-17, 04:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
Car batteries are designed and built to deliver a short burst of a lot of power which you need to start a car. A deep cycle battery is designed and built to deliver a lower level of power over a much longer period. Both will run a sump pump for a while so your car battery can be used. The deep cycle, everything else equal, will run it longer and can be discharged deeper without harming the battery.

Old 04-05-17, 08:33 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you Dane. I thought as much, just needed to be sure I wasn't doing something really stupid. A little stupid I'm ok with... Understanding it better now, I'm inclined to get the deep cycle in the near future. Turns out not all deep cycle marine batteries are as pricey as I thought. If I didn't already have a new car battery kicking around it'd be a no-brainer with prices in the same range.

Old 04-05-17, 09:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
The quality of the battery makes a big difference. There are some labeled "deep cycle" and then there are others that are truly deep cycle so do some research before buying. Generally though good batteries are not cheap. They contain a lot of lead so just the mass of raw material adds to their cost.