Practice of turning off pump at night

Old 05-09-17, 05:26 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Practice of turning off pump at night

I have a well and submersible pump in the yard and a full size pressure tank in the basement. This system used to supply water to the interior and exterior plumbing but now is only used to pressurize outdoor faucets and a sprinkler system. I have been turning off the switch to the pump at night as a precaution. The tank loses pressure and water flows back down from the spigot and sprinkler system piping. When the tank pressure reaches a low point you can hear gurgling. When you turn it on, the tank has to build back up from zero.

I am just wondering if this is a bad practice; if this is hard on the tank or pump or if there is anything else I am missing. Keeping this system pressurized 24/7 seems unnecessary and likely to increase the possibility of leaks. I use it only every few days in warm weather and it is entirely de-pressurized and blown out during the winter months.

Old 05-09-17, 05:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 861 Votes on 794 Posts
It sounds like you have a bad foot valve on your well pump allowing the water to drain back down the well when the pump isn't running. This also means that you're loosing water and pressure when the pump turns off. I'm betting your well pump is cycling on and off even when you are not using water.

If that's the case then I would at least do what you are doing by turning off the well at night. You may want to go further and either repair the foot valve or only turn on the well when you will be using water.

Old 05-09-17, 05:48 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It sounds like the check valve at the pump is leaking otherwise the water would not drain back down when you shut of the pump. Or there is a leak somewhere.

If you are using it only occasionally, I see no real issue with shutting it off each time. If you fixed the problem causing it to drain down, then the pump wouldn't have to repressurize the system each time, but that's not really a problem since it's only a couple times a week. It does mean you will get spurting and surging from trapped air when you first use the water. Again, not a major problem if it's just used for irrigation.

Old 05-14-17, 09:52 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tank pressure

When it is fully pressurized, the gauge reads 72. If I shut off the pump in the evening, it still holds pressure but the next morning the pressure reads about 20 lbs., typically. I'm wondering what this signifies. The tank itself was replaced 2 or 3 years ago. Also, is the foot valve or check valve part of the pump and would replacing it be part of a pump replacement? And what should a replacement cost, ball park? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: