New submersible and simple pump install

Old 05-29-17, 10:25 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New submersible and simple pump install

Our well pump is about twenty years old, and I've been thinking about replacing it (trying to be proactive before it breaks). I'm going to install a Simple Pump, and figured I might as well change out the submersible while I'm at it.

Hand Water Pump. Solar Pump. by SIMPLE PUMP Co.

According to the original well paperwork, the existing pump is a Myers 1 HP 12 GPM pump. I've been thinking about replacing it with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Lion-RL22...ords=well+pump

Same HP, but rated for 22 GPM. Also according to the paperwork the recovery rate of the well is 100 GPM. Submersible is at 165 feet, which is where I'm planning on keeping it. Would this be ok?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 05-29-17, 12:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,272 Upvotes on 2,024 Posts
What's the static water level in your well?

Have you ever operated a hand pump? It's not easy and it gets quite tough if you are trying to bring water up from 20-30 feet or more. If you want a backup I would get a generator and not bother with a hand pump.

Submerssible pumps have two parts. The motor provides the power. The pump moves the water. Pumps are a bit like the gears in a car. You can have two pumps, both designed to be powered by a 1 hp motor, that operate differently. One pump may be like 1st gear it can bring water up from great depth but can't move a lot of it (low gpm). Another pump using the same horsepower can be like a pump in 5th gear. It can't bring water up from as deep but it can move more water. So, you have to look at your well depth and water needs to pick the best one.

For the pump you linked you'll have to research and find the charts that show how much water it can pump from various depths. If your static water level is down deep so you're often bringing water up from 100'+ you may find that a lower gpm pump can produce more gpm from the deeper depths.

Old 06-03-17, 10:21 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not all hand pumps are tough to pump

There are hand pumps on the market that are built for deep well. We have a Simple Pump at about 200 feet and it is relatively easy to pump. In fact our kids can pump ours with no problem. We also can pump into our pressure tank without difficulty, so no hauling buckets up to the house.

As a back up, we are very happy with it. We also have a generator, but it's noisy. And, if things really go south we don't want to be dependent on fuel to pump our water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: