Low water pressure & flow.

Old 05-30-17, 09:53 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low water pressure & flow.

Hi!
I recently had a arsenic reduction system installed on my well water system. Everything seemed fine at first, but I was having pressure problems after a few months, so I had the 2 filters changed. I don't know what the micron rating was on the original filters, but I believe the 2 new filters are 5 micron which is the recommended rating. Water pressure & flow is now still in the dumps. I have a 30/50 pressure switch in the system now, but I'm thinking of changing to 40/60. I just want to know if my submersible 1/2 hp pump could handle the higher pressure. I think the pump is down around 140 or 160 feet.
Thanx!

Old 05-30-17, 11:55 AM
C
Received 166 Upvotes on 134 Posts
It's going to depend on the exact pump you have, but 1/2 horse pump at 140 feet is most likely close to its limit. The flow rate will drop a lot at the higher pressure and it will have to run a long time to refill the tank.

You may be able to adjust your current pressure switch up a little and see how well the pump manages. The common switches can be adjusted; directions are inside the switch. Turn the power off!

But I'd be wondering why you are having issues with clean filters if it worked OK with clean filters when first installed. Is there anything else in the system that may be limiting flow? If not, you may already have pump trouble.

Old 05-30-17, 01:29 PM
M
Yeh, I don't know if I have info on the model of Goulds pump. I know I can adjust my present swich, I just didn't wanna mess with it.
When the tech changed the filters, he mentioned he thought the pre filter might have been a 30 or 40 micron, I think! Don't know why that would have been put in there!
My pump is working ok.
Some of the problem, which I don't think much of, is they used Pex tube & fittings that look like the inside diameter is like 1/2 or 5/8 inch. The inspector didn't like that either, but passed it.

Old 05-30-17, 02:06 PM
M
Found the info!
Gould 10 EJ 1/2 hp 120v 3 wire. Installed 11/23/88
Looks like it's at 120'

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: