new septic system

Old 06-02-17, 05:28 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
new septic system

I just moved into my new home a few weeks ago and it has a pump to gravity septic system. There is a septic tank and pump close to the house and then a pipe going all the way to the back of the property (a few acres away) to the drain field. My question is, right in front of the drain field about 10ft toward the house is a cover I recently found (with my tractor....) and inside the cover is a 2" gate valve. I dug out around the valve to find the pvc piping was in an upside down U shape. So it goes pipe, elbow up, pipe, elbow, pipe, 2" gate valve, pipe, elbow down, pipe, elbow, pipe toward drain field. I've googled to no avail. What is this gate valve U shape "trap" for?

Old 06-02-17, 05:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Are you certain it pertains to the septic system? I would think it could be a valve for a supply line of some sorts. Are there any water supplies nearby? Creek/lake pump, etc. Is this the only valve you have found? Could there possibly be others? It could distribute the waste to more than one field, so you may have another one that is closed at present.

Old 06-02-17, 07:19 PM
A
I'm not certain of much pertaining to this, haha! I only believe it to be part of the septic somehow due to this valve/piping in question being inline with the trench they dug to lay the pipe from septic tank to drain field. The water that leaked from this valve was somewhat clear but still had a somewhat harsh aroma. Leading me to believe it's the effluent from the tank on its way to drain. The only other source of piping on the property is a well but it is far far away from this location. The property is 10 acres and the drain field is in the back while the well is in the front yard.

Old 06-02-17, 07:22 PM
A
Also, I saw no other valves such as this. I just finished cutting the overgrown brush, hence how I found this. So I looked really well to find another, to no avail.

Old 06-03-17, 02:10 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
If it's a new home, you must have access to the architect or contractor or engineer to access what was installed, where it was installed, and how it is supposed to function . . . . rather than just guessing ?

Old 06-03-17, 03:00 AM
A
I tried reaching out to the septic installer yesterday but I assume he's on vacation as he didn't answer or return my call yet. That's why I reached out here. Hoping to get an answer on what the reason a gate valve would be installed that close to the drain field would be.

Old 06-03-17, 03:08 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Depending upon the design, it may be that your system has two leach fields, intended to be used alternatively from year to year (or switched even less frequently), so that one is given a rest and time to recover.

These are design considerations based upon the characteristics of your specific site; but would/could explain the presence of that valve; but the system should have included instructions covering how and when to switch from one drain field to the other.

Old 06-03-17, 03:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Can you post a picture of valve and pipe in question? I am wondering if you have a pressurized distribution system and not a traditional gravity system.

Old 06-03-17, 04:40 AM
A
I thought about multiple leqch fields, but I saw no diversion box or diverter valves.

Unfortunately, I'm at work today so I don't have access to pictures. I do know by looking at the health inspection sheet, that it is a pump to gravity system. the couplings surrounding the valve in question are pressure rated pvc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: