Help Identifying Material

Old 06-14-17, 05:23 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help Identifying Material

If possible will someone help me identifying the material this part is made from. I tried using Loctite marine epoxy and although it cured hard it did not stick to the material. Any ideas on the material of suggestions on type of epoxy that I can use will be extremely helpful.

Or can someone suggest where I can buy a part such as this one?

Any help greatly appreciated
Name:  20170613_205712-01.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  50.3 KB

Old 06-14-17, 07:22 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
you can do a search for Poly pipe fittings. Here is one possibility but you will have to match pipe diameter and threads.

https://www.plumbersstock.com/petma1...-mipxbarb.html

- Peter

Old 06-14-17, 07:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I would never try to glue a fitting like that back together. Just replace it. They are only a few dollars.

Depending on how the fitting feels I would guess that it's polyethylene or glass reinforced nylon.

Old 06-15-17, 06:03 AM
No epoxy will work on that type of fitting, like has been said, just replace it.

Old 06-16-17, 07:09 AM
C
Well after a lot of Internet, phone calls and driving to, it turns out this part is a one of a kind size made just for this heater. My last resort was a plumbing supply in town and he was the one that concluded after trying numerous parts that it was not standard.

So I had already epoxied it with DAP Rapid Fuse and it had dried for several days. This is after using loctite, and some others that supposedly are made for this type of material and lasted only 10 secs.

So after calling the company that makes the heater they gave me the name of a local dealer, who just happened to be the one that installed the tub, and they had the part for $387. Pretty steep.

I called DAP and asked them their opinion and they said they had no idea if it will work. No idea! You made the stuff.

So I thought what the heck let me try the epoxied part. Nothing to lose but some time. Well low and behold it stuck like it was built that way. No leaks, no problems. I can't believe it but it worked.

So you never know. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: