Septic system not draining

Old 07-11-17, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Septic system not draining

Hello,

Our septic system seems like it needs to be dug up and replaced, or perhaps there is something that can dissolve and get rid of the grease and what not on the bottom. We are having to suck out the septic system far too much now. This last time we sucked it up we looked at the bottom and there is a thick amount of stuff at the bottom.

Thanks

Old 07-11-17, 10:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grease floats, so it would be on the top. You shouldn't be putting grease down the drain anyway.

There is supposed to be stuff at the bottom. That's what the tank is for. When you say there's a "thick amount" there, how thick is thick? Almost up to the level of the output, as in several feet thick? How often are you pumping the tank? Are you by any chance pumping this out yourself?

The only way solids get in there and settle to the bottom is if you put them there. Digging up the entire system and replacing it won't solve anything, because even a failed system doesn't magically cause solids to appear at the bottom more than usual. Your brand new tank will have solids in the bottom in short order too.

I guess I'm just confused about the post.

Are you pouring bleach down the drain or something else that would kill bacteria?

P.S. Don't put anything in the tank to "get rid of" the grease on top nor the stuff on the bottom. Better that it's in the tank than out in your leach field lines! And if you're putting anything down the drain that you shouldn't be, well stop doing that.

Old 07-11-17, 10:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
Usually when the tank is pumped they will tell you or note on the bill if they find or suspect any issues with the system. How often are you needing to have the tank pumped? Does it back up any before being pumped?

I agree with everything Core stated above. I do add yeast to my system [monthly if I don't forget] but I wouldn't use any other type of additive.

Old 07-11-17, 11:11 AM
V
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What's the statue of the Leach Field . . . . is it clogged.

Is effluent being sent out to it.

The Septic Tank doesn't "drain". it just over flows out to the disposal area, aka Leach Field.

Old 07-12-17, 03:15 AM
H
Received 250 Votes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by 951Michael
We are having to suck out the septic system far too much now.
That's generally a too much water going IN issue.
First thing, cheapest thing, replace all the plastic flappers in your toilets, and make sure they seal correctly. Toilet flappers can crinkle with age, which means you get a constant water leak INTO the septic system. Also, hard water or gunk can build up on the circular lip of the drain pipe the flapper sits on, if it's not perfectly smooth, the small bumps can cause a small constant leak. It's a cheap and simple $5 fix to replace the flapper. When you replace the flapper, scrub the lip of the pipe in the bottom of the toilet tank with a pot scrubber or brillow pad to make sure it's smooth.

This last time we sucked it up we looked at the bottom and there is a thick amount of stuff at the bottom.
Who's we?
The usual answer is "the last time the septic guy pumped the tank".

Our septic system seems like it needs to be dug up and replaced, or perhaps there is something that can dissolve and get rid of the grease and what not on the bottom.
The stuff on the bottom is supposed to be there. The big tank is there to protect the drainfield out in the lawn. The gunk at the bottom of the septic tank is SUPPOSED to be there, the purpose of the tank is to collect that gunk, and keep it from clogging the drain field.

Your septic tank is like the strainer in the bottom of your kitchen sink.
It has only 1 job- keep the big stuff from getting past it, and into the pipes and clogging them.
You WANT stuff to collect in the tank or strainer, because that's much easier to clean out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: