Need assistance identifying well pressure tank and setup

Old 07-23-17, 04:40 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need assistance identifying well pressure tank and setup

I purchased an as-is fixer upper that previously was of the "rent-a-meth-lab" variety. I am unsure as to what this well setup is exactly, diaphragm or a simple air over water. Being that the property was stripped of most anything valuable, it feasibly could be missing parts.

The system is functional as is, though it does waterlog and shortcycle at minimum monthly (simply draining it temporarily fixes this).

(It's been raining for the better part of two weeks so the moisture in the photos is not entirely it's doing)

Any assistance in identifying this well tank is greatly appreciated.

Name:  w1.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  20.1 KB Name:  w3.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  29.7 KB

Name:  w2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  38.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-24-17 at 09:18 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-17, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,168 Votes on 1,083 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Looks like your photobucket pics are not set up for public view. Even if they were photobucket is not allowing 3rd party hosting and now even viewing is a problem.

If they aren't big pics... host them here. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 07-23-17, 05:59 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Done! Thank you kindly for the heads up.

Old 07-24-17, 06:36 PM
A
Received 85 Votes on 79 Posts
Any tank with air in it and connected to the water system will work as a pressure tank. If/when due to a leak all of the air is lost and the tank becomes filled with water you will get short cycling of the pump.

A tank with a diaphragm (bladder) and a tank without that will work equally well when first emptied of water. The tank without a diaphragm will gradually lose the air cushion due to absorption into the water and then you have to add more air from time to time.

A water heater cannot double as a pressure tank because it can self destruct if it has an air pocket inside.

Old 07-24-17, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,168 Votes on 1,083 Posts
I thought the same thing at first.... that's not a water heater... it's the pressure switch that looks like a gas valve.

The system is functional as is, though it does waterlog and shortcycle at minimum monthly (simply draining it temporarily fixes this).
I used to rent a shop and it had the same exact tank... setup the same way. It constantly got water bound too.

I took the gauge out and installed a Tee with a schrader valve and just gave it a shot of air every month or so.

Looks like a very old well head in the bottom picture.