Well running dry after shock chlorination


  #1  
Old 09-11-17, 08:10 PM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well running dry after shock chlorination

Hi Everyone-

Hoping to get a little bit of help with my problem:

I have a 140 ft. deep well with a 1/2 hp constant speed submersible pump. Pump is approximately 20 years old, runs through a 1 gpm flow restrictor, and then into a 200 gal holding tank within my residence. Pump is controlled by a low pressure cutout switch with adjustable (currently set to 35 minute) cutout time. Water is pumped from the holding tank to my house piping using a jet pump, cycle stop valve, pressure tank, sediment filter, aeration system, and water softener (in that order). We live in a high iron area and a metallic smell is common in our water.

I have had issues in the past with running out of water, but nothing for the last 12 months since having my well professionally cleaned.

This Saturday 9/9, in order to get rid of an iron smell and heavy iron buildup, we shock chlorinated our well and storage tank. Since then, our well production rate has significantly decreased and we seem to be running low on water. We have greatly reduced our water usage (in part due to the chlorine smell) but it isn't helping. Our storage tank was down to 35/200 gallons today and our well was dry.

Any ideas what could be causing this and what we can do to fix it?

My operative theory is that the chlorination within the well dislodged sediment/bacteria which has obstructed the veins leading to the well bore.

Thank you in advance!
 
  #2  
Old 09-11-17, 08:13 PM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One more comment: I'm considering trucking in some water and trying to fill up my well casing with spring water and let it seep out into the veins in an attempt to increase production. Is this a good idea or am I wasting my time hauling water?
 
  #3  
Old 09-11-17, 09:05 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 61,717
Received 3,341 Upvotes on 3,000 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You may have just overdrawn the well in the flushing process.
Found a good piece on iron bacteria....
Shock Chlorination and Control of Iron Bacteria

I don't think pouring the water down the well would be permanently helpful. You may need to truck some water in for your tank.
 
  #4  
Old 09-12-17, 06:25 AM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I'm hoping that's all that happened!

We will keep bringing in water for another day or so to see what happens, hopefully this can resolve on its own
 
  #5  
Old 09-12-17, 07:40 PM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 4
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good news! The issue cleared on its own today. I let water sit in the well bore overnight and we limited our usage for a bit. It recovered. Fingers crossed...hope it will hold.
 
  #6  
Old 09-12-17, 07:49 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 61,717
Received 3,341 Upvotes on 3,000 Posts
That certainly is good news.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: