Installing a bathroom basement questions

Old 12-21-17, 06:42 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing a bathroom basement questions

I will be installing a bathroom in my basement and I have a few questions around that. I have attached a basic riser drawing of the plumbing I plan on installing. In this basement I will be installing a sewage pump, shower, toilet, and sink.

Questions:
1)If I just run a vent from the top of the sewage pump basin and out of the house is that all I need, or do you need to vent the sewage and gray water lines before the sewage pump? Basically once the lines comes out of the toilet do you need to vent it before the line enters the sewage pumps basin?
2) How do I know what diameter pump to run?
3) Since I will be running this basement bathroom plumbing into a septic system should the sewage pump have a grinder or not have a grinder in the pump?

Thanks,

Brendan

Attached Images  
Old 12-22-17, 07:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
1. No, do not install a vent on the line between the pump and your existing drain pipe. The effluent will be under pressure which could force it up and out a vent.

2. Pumps are generally sized by horsepower and almost any quality sewage ejectment pump will work. 1/2 hp is probably the smallest you will find which will be more than enough. Follow the directions/guidance provided with your sump if there is any. I had a 1/2 hp pump in my system originally but and it died while under warranty and the manufacturer for my sump system replaced it with a 1 hp. model. Aside from the physical size difference of the pumps I noticed no real difference in their performance other than the bigger pump would empty the sump a second or two faster.

3. Get a sewage ejector pump. They are designed specifically for this type application. They don't have a dedicated grinder but they are designed to handle semi solids like poo and toilet paper. Everything will get torn apart as it goes through the impeller of the pump.

---
With a sump and pump you will need to make absolutely certain that only water, poo and toilet paper go down the drain. The string in some feminine products, condoms and other non poo and TP items can get caught on the impeller blades and cause a clog.

Old 12-23-17, 05:17 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you Pilot Dane for your answer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: