Ice around septic tank area

Old 12-31-17, 10:48 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ice around septic tank area

Here in New Jersey, weve had a combination of rain and snow a few days ago. With this recent cold weather, some of that has turned to ice.

I noticed this morning around the septic tank lid area that there is a long flow of ice. I do not see any ice around the leach field or any around the plastic white pipe sticking out of the ground (I believe this is a pump)

During our summer rain storms there would be a puddle of water pooling around that area. My suspicion is that the recent rain and low temperatures have frozen this area. However, I will defer to the experts

Attached Images  
Old 12-31-17, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,648 Upvotes on 1,476 Posts
It could be that heat loss from this area (which would be warmer than the surrounding ground) is just warm enough to melt the snow which then froze.

Old 12-31-17, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
YES THE FIELD WOULD OVERFLOW FIRST AS ITS LOWER THEN THE TANK... Unless you have a pump system?

The white piping are probably the ends of the laterals and inspection ports..

It could be a clogged D box.

It could be the warming as stated below. We would need to know more details and layout of your system..

Its best to have it pumped and inspected as soon as possible if you suspect an issue...

Old 12-31-17, 11:59 AM
C
Not an expert here, but I believe this is your typical septic tank with distribution box and leach field. I do recall that when we moved in 2 years ago, the septic inspection revealed the homeowners needed to replace the distribution box and the right baffle which they did, so those are fairly new. The leach field did pass at the time.

My neighbor thinks its possible the laterals froze.

Its strange in that the ice is pooled around the septic lid, but more so where the plastic pipe protrudes and sloping away from the leach field. The ice is going right where the leach field goes left.

Old 12-31-17, 12:04 PM
V
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Around here, placing a Leach Field anywhere within 50' or 100' of tree roots is just asking for trouble.

I'd imagine that would hold true where ever this dwelling is located too.

Old 12-31-17, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,648 Upvotes on 1,476 Posts
During our summer rain storms there would be a puddle of water pooling around that area.
If that's the case... one would expect there to be a puddle in that low spot anytime you get rain or snow.

I agree with the proximity of the tree roots being bad news.

Old 12-31-17, 12:17 PM
C
Here's a picture of the layout done by the company that did the previous repairs

Attached Images  
Old 01-01-18, 06:02 AM
Received 1,062 Upvotes on 963 Posts
Hopefully its just a low spot collecting surface water!

If not then have to assume the field is lower than the top of the tank then it would appear that water is flowing out onto the ground which would indicate a plug in the line to the field or a failed field.

Tank will generate some heat but that will just melt the snow, not cause pools of water to form.

Ive had tanks in the middle of wooded area, may not be best but not as critical as keeping the field clear of trees!

Old 01-04-18, 06:58 AM
A
Received 245 Upvotes on 225 Posts
Water pooled over the septic tank is bad news in every case.

1. The septic tank is overflowing because of a blockage further on whether in the lead-out to the distribution box or due to failure of the leach field or due to roots clogging the leach field or pipes leading to it, or a pump needed to get the effluent to a leach field higher in elevation has failed.

2. Ground water or rain water is gravitating to that area due to slope of the terrain. But the septic tank hatches are not watertight (permitting #1 to happen if it is) so that water will seep into the septic tank, possibly overloading the septic system.

3. Due to a failed leach field, the effluent is making its way to the surface instead of percolating into the ground. The effluent is gravitating back to the septic tank area. The consequences are the same as #2 preceding.

If you open a hatch to the septic tank and observe several times over several hours during normal water usage in the house and the water level is always several inches below the
underside of the tank top then #1 is probably not the cause of the problem.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-04-18 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-24-18, 01:22 PM
C
An update on this..:

I had the tank pumped on Thursday. The septic pumper said that the filter was dirty.

The next day, I opened the inlet access cover and noticed some sludge. I used a metal rod to get it loose, and about 10 seconds worth of water poured right out.

I suspect that the filter was clogged and caused the tank to overflow while allowing some sludge into the inlet pipe.

Good thing I checked the inlet pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: