Filling a pond

Old 03-06-18, 08:20 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filling a pond

I bought a house with a pond ( pothole) that was overgrown and neglected.
I had it cleaned out and dugout to a depth at one end of about 20 feet, less at the other. Total size is around 1/2 acre. I have a spring at about 12 feet but the water level won’t come up any further than that so max water depth is about 8 feet at the deep end. In the spring the pond will fill with run off, rain and snow melt but as the summer goes on the water level drops. I would like to put down a shallow well (sandpoint) to keep the water level up. My question is what size shallow well pump do I need and would I need a pressure tank? This is the only thing the well will be used for.

Old 03-06-18, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Pretty hard to guess at the size of the pump needed. It's based on how much water you need vs how much water will the well provide. You will not need a pressure tank.

Old 03-06-18, 11:49 PM
Received 424 Votes on 395 Posts
Every home that I have owned with a well used a 1hp submersible well which powered domestic use, GEO thermal heating, and sprinkler systems.

Your application requires significantly less water/pressure so a jet pump in the 1/2 hp and 5-10 GPM.

Old 03-07-18, 06:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 745 Votes on 684 Posts
First, it sounds like you have a leaking pond. My first step would be to address the leaking otherwise you will be constantly fighting to keep the pond filled.

As for the pump you will need to size it according to your well. Like PJmax mentioned it will depend on how much water your well can provide and how far away the well is located and how much higher the water level in the pond is above the level of water in the well. If you size it correctly you will not need a pressure tank or even a pressure switch and the pump could run continuously. If you over size the pump then it could pump the well dry which will loose the prime in an above ground pump. Most sand point wells are too small to accommodate a submersible pump but a submersible would not have a priming issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: