Septic system treatment products

Old 03-19-18, 04:58 PM
T
Received 84 Likes on 75 Posts
Septic system treatment products

My daughter and son-in-law are buying a home and are concerned (among several issues) with septic failure. I've never used septic treatment products in 25 years of septic tank use but I've started looking at them for my daughter - of which there seem to be many on the market. I'd appreciate some information on these products: what that do and whether they're beneficial.

I always thought the little buggers just worked naturally.

Old 03-19-18, 05:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
I feel they offer little or no benefit. What matters is what gets flushed and put down the drain. Grease is the surest way to kill a septic system. Next would be a garbage disposal and flushing condoms and feminine products.

One thing that I would recommend is to have the tank pumped. That will allow insight into how the system has been previously treated. And while the tank is opened I would install a filter on the outlet if it does not already have one.

Old 03-19-18, 05:56 PM
Received 997 Likes on 906 Posts
Next would be a garbage disposal

Ive had grinders with septic systems for over 30 years but we dont do bulk grind and never an issue.

As noted nothing goes down the drain but pee, poop, & white toilet paper, a few scraps of food wont cause any issue.

Additives only help the manufacture, a healthy system is self sustaining,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: