Pump Not Priming

Old 03-28-18, 07:55 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pump Not Priming

I know nothing about irrigation except for what I've read here over the last hour or so. It looks as though I need to replace the check valve on my system since it loses its prime as soon as it shuts down. I'm attaching a picture of my set up. I'd like to know if there's any way to just unscrew the check valve and replace it or am I going to have to cut it out? I hope this is enough information. Thank you for your help!

Name:  w1.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  70.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-28-18 at 08:06 PM. Reason: labeled pic
Old 03-28-18, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved your thread to the well forum and labeled your picture.

The union is a connection you can open to allow you to remove the check valve. The two parts labeled C are threaded connectors. After opening the union.... you can unscrew the check valve off the connectors.

Those plastic unions are hard to get to seal tightly. You could have a tiny leak at that union allowing air in which will cause you to lose the prime.

Old 03-28-18, 09:09 PM
C
Thanks so much for posting this in the right place and for your answer. I'll give it a try tomorrow!!!

Old 03-29-18, 05:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
PJmax is correct. Even the tiniest leak can allow air in which will loose the prime over time. I never bother with union fittings like that as they are usually more trouble than they are worth. PVC is so inexpensive and is easy to cut, replace or repair that I just hard plumb things together with glued fittings. If something needs to come apart in the future I just cut it and replace as needed.

Old 03-29-18, 03:47 PM
C
You're the man! The hardest part of this was actually finding the check valve (3 different stores). And I also didn't have to replace the union and everything is working out great. Total cost of repair...$7.50! Thanks so much!!

Old 04-09-18, 11:37 AM
C
So thanks again for your responses before. However, after a day, it's not working. The pump seems to hold water to prime itself for several hours but over a few days, it doesn't. I'm guessing the next step would be to eliminate the union as you and Pilot Dan mentioned my let air in. Again, being clueless about this, where would you suggest I cut? Would it be right after the union then right below the elbow where the water is entering? Also, I added this picture because this wasn't happening before. When I realized the pump wasn't priming, I took the screw off to add water manually and, as you can see, there WAS water being pulled in as it started spewing out of the opening. So is it just that there's not enough water being pulled into the pump to prime it? Thanks again for your help.

Old 04-09-18, 11:59 AM
Group Moderator
Was the pump running when that water was gushing out ?
The pump will prime faster if it's not pumping under pressure/restriction after the pump.

There is only one check valve in the system... correct ?

PVC fittings are very inexpensive. Pick up a few couplers, 90's and male connectors so you have spares.
I would cut just below the 90 to allow for a coupler and short piece of pipe to the 90. I would replace from the 90 right to the check valve using a new male connector.

Old 04-11-18, 07:42 AM
C
Pump Losing Prime Again

I posted a few weeks ago about my well pump not priming. The response I got was I had a bad check valve. I replaced it and it worked great...for a day. I also got advice to remove the plastic union leading from the well to the valve because air apparently gets into these easily. I believe that's my problem now and I'll replace that but I had a few more questions.

1. When I went to add water to the pump manually by unscrewing the screw on top, water was gushing out of it (see image). It wasn't doing this before, it was just dry. Is it possible that there's enough pressure building that some water is reaching the pump but not enough?
2. I'll replace the union between the well and the pump. Could someone give me advice on the best place to make the cuts? It just seems kinda tight and I'm not sure what would work best.
3. You'll see a union also between the pump and the irrigation system. Should that be replaced as well?

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-11-18, 09:56 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Can't this new submission be combined with what you originally wrote ?

Is there a pressure tank involved in your system; a tank which would have provided the pressure to push out the gushing water you observed ?

Instead of replacing the manually screwed together Unions, why not open them up and apply some vegetable oil or vaseline to the inerts to accomplish a better seal that inhibits incoming air ?

Old 04-11-18, 10:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You can cut out the union wherever you want. I like to leave as much pipe as possible to allow room for cuts in the future.

I would not remove the union on the outlet. If it leaks you'll just have some dripping when the pump is running.

Old 04-11-18, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
I merged the threads to keep everything together.

Old 04-11-18, 11:06 AM
C
@Vermont - Sorry, I don't know much about irrigation. I don't know what a pressure tank would look like.
@Pilot Dane - I agree about leaving pipe for future cuts, that's why I'm having a problem with figuring out where to make the cuts because on both sides of the union, there's so little space. Thanks again for your help!

Old 04-11-18, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Plenty of space....

Cut near the red line. You can cut directly below the old 90 and then work down. You want the new coupler, stub of pipe and 90 to install at the same height. You will not need to cut this in the future. Remove the old PVC right to the valve. Use a new male connector sealed with teflon tape in the valve. Use a +/- 1' piece of PVC into the 90. In the future.... you will be cutting into the +/- 1' piece of PVC pipe.

Name:  w2.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  63.8 KB

Old 04-13-18, 08:40 PM
C
Thank you! I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: