Well Pump Pressure Switch.

Old 06-29-18, 09:05 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well Pump Pressure Switch.

I'm a new homeowner. I have a well with a submersible pump, and a well pressure tank. Recently, I have had the water stop while I'm taking a shower/brushing my teeth etc. to fix the problem, I have had to go into the well room and manually activate the pump with the override lever on the "square D" pressure switch. This will fill the tank and problem is solved for a day or two.

Anyone know what my problem could be? Hopefully I just need a new pressure switch, and this does not mean my well is going dry.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-18, 04:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 688 Votes on 635 Posts
It's probably a clog in the orifice in the bottom of the pressure switch or the pipe nipple that connects it. You can remove it and clean everything out or replace it with new.

If you get a new pressure switch you will need to have an accurate water pressure gauge installed on your system and have a accurate tire pressure gauge. You will need to set either the pressure switch or the air in the pressure tank so the air in the pressure tank is 2-3 psi less than the pump's cut in (turn on ) pressure.

Old 06-30-18, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,204 Votes on 1,114 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Another thought is you could have a water supply/low water level issue too.

Old 06-30-18, 09:23 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pilot Dane and PJMax. How would I know if it's a low water level issue?

Old 06-30-18, 03:10 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 688 Votes on 635 Posts
A clogged pressure switch almost always happens on the low pressure side. You'll use water and the pressure just drops and drops. Then there is often a pause of several seconds to minutes of no water then the water comes back. To diagnose you need to be at the pressure switch so you can hear it click on and off. When the water stops listen to the swtich. If you eventually hear the switch "click" and then hear water flowing it's likely the switch. If you hear or feel the pipes humming even when there is no water or if the water comes back on without hearing the switch click then your well may have run low/out of water.

All that is a bit "fussy" to listen to when the problem is occurring. Quickest and sorta easiest is to turn off the circuit breaker to the well. Open a faucet and let it run. This will bleed all the pressure out of the system. Then unhook the wires to the pressure switch (make sure to memorize or take a picture so you can hook it back up). Remove the switch by unscrewing it from the pipe nipple and look at the little hole on it's bottom and look into the pipe nipple. If the pipe nipple is clogged it's usually easy to see.