pump water out from basement

Old 11-17-18, 11:45 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
pump water out from basement

HI all,

I'm a single mum needing a bit of advice on how to get that last bit of water pumped out of a basement. I'm not sure is this is the correct forum. If not, my apologies and if you could point me to the right place.

A while ago our basement flooded. We used a water pump to pump out most of the water. BUT, there remains about 10cm that doesn't reach the minimum suction height of the pump. The basement is large and difficult to access (it's about 5m underground). I have tried just using a bucket and rope but the water just spills and we're not making any progress.

There must be a machine that can do this?? I've asked a few people and they say that all water pumps have this limitation. Is this true? Is there not a type of water pump that can pump until the very bottom? There must be!

Old 11-17-18, 11:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
I'm not too swift when it comes to metric measurements but the last of the water is usually sucked up with a wet/dry vac.

Old 11-17-18, 01:11 PM
A
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
They do make semisubmersible water pumps, some are about the size and shape of a 1 gallon (3.8L) paint can, that can sit on the floor and suck the water not more than 6 inches (15 cm) deep down to less than 1 inch (less than 2.5 cm) deep.

Usually the floor is not perfectly level so by putting the pump in the deepest part some parts of the floor become almost dry. The wet vacuum cleaner should then finish the rest without taking too much time.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-17-18 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-17-18, 01:13 PM
P
Most hardware stores make a small utility pump commonly called a 'floor sucker' that attaches to a garden hose for its discharge. I think that would be perfect for your application. I will post a picture of a typical one. You may also be able to rent one for a few days from a utility rental yard.

Attached Images  
Old 11-17-18, 03:28 PM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
I use the kind of pump the other guys referred to. I have a well pit about 4 feet deep and when I want to pump out about 10-12 inches of water I attach a garden hose to the pump and use the hose to lower the pump and sit it on the well pit floor(also with an electric extension cord also connected for power).

It works fine. The pump sucks the water up from the bottom and pushes it out the garden hose. A little bit of water is left on the bottom, but not much, and some spots are dry.

If I have several feet of water I don’t totally submerse the pump. I hang it down about 10 inches into the water, and continue pumping and dropping it a little at a time until the pump is eventually sitting on the floor to finish the job.

Old 11-17-18, 07:55 PM
P
That is about as far as your are going to get with a pump. Time to shop vac the rest or get out the mop.

Old 11-17-18, 11:43 PM
T
Ah yes that looks like the right tool for the job!
I'm going to try to get my hands on one. Thanks for all those suggestions! Very helpful indeed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: