Sump pumps and backups

Old 12-05-18, 06:40 AM
Z
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sump pumps and backups

Hello,

First home we’re living in that has a sump pump.

It’s submersible with a water powered backup pump.

I tried testing the backup yesterday by unplugging the primary pump.

The water rose in the pit. It continued to rise above the 2 outlet discharge tile pipes which feed the pit.

Eventually the backup did kick on and the water dropped a couple of inches. However, it seemed to stall there...the pump continued to run, but the water level didn’t drop.

I plugged the primary in and it quickly drained the pit but there was a heavy flow coming from the tile pipes, which were full. See photo. Water rose to approx the level of the blue line.

It seems the tile pipes which feed the pit were full of water as the backup didn’t kick on before the water level reached the tile discharge ports. Is this normal for a backup?
Should the tile discharge pipes be filling with water before the backup kicks on?

The primary pump float engages much sooner and below the tile discharge ports.

I have the manual for the Liberty SJ10 backup but it doesn’t seem to be too specific or cautious on where to install the backup, other than saying approx 12 inches above the normal water line the primary starts at.

Is the current placement of the back up ok? Or should it be lowered? If yes, I’ll need take some photos of my setup as it might be a challenge to lower it given the primary pump is in the way.

Attached Images  
Old 12-05-18, 07:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Your instructions actually say 12 to 16": The bottom of the gray pump housing should be approximately 12–16” above the water level at which the primary sump pump turns on.

I think you need to remember the purpose of this backup sump pump is that it is flood control in the case of a power outage... (emergency only) I don't think you would want or expect it to pump the water down like your primary does. Since it uses 1 gallon of your drinking water to pump out 2 gallons of ground water, that would get expensive in a hurry.

Old 12-05-18, 10:41 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
What XSleeper says. I have the same setup. It's not as powerful as the primary but it should prevent flooding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: