Locating Pressure Tank

Old 12-16-18, 10:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Locating Pressure Tank

My son bought a house with a well, and is having trouble with water pressure, in that while running a faucet, or taking a shower, the pressure will go from being good, to just a trickle. It seems to me that the issue is probably due to how the pressure switch is set, and possibly the pressure in his pressure tank. The problem is, we have no idea where the pressure switch and tank are located. He has no basement, and the tank is not located anywhere in the house. Here's my question. Right next to the well well is a capped 4" PVC pipe sticking out of the ground. Could this possibly be an access point to the pressure tank? Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 12-16-18, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A pressure tank will be big. Very doubtful they buried it and left a little vent pipe. Usually if it's not in the basement or crawlspace...... it's in a well house and extremely visible.

Your problem sounds like a lack of water in the well/recharge issue. If it was the pressure tank it would pulse from low to high pressure. It could possibly be a pressure switch problem but less likely.

Old 12-16-18, 11:02 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If you are not seeing a big blue (usually) tank somewhere then you probably dont have one. The switch has to be there somewhere, between the well head and the house, somethings commanding the pump to turn on!

Old 12-16-18, 11:15 AM
Thanks. I am familiar with well systems, having had one all my life. My pressure tank and switch are in my basement, but I know what you're talking about with the well house, but there is none here. There is also no crawl space.

The pressure does fluctuate between good, and nearly a trickle, which would seem to indicate to me that the switch is not adjusted properly, and not kicking the pump in soon enough. I cant imagine what this other pipe would be, if it's not somehow related to the well and pump.

Old 12-16-18, 11:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
There has to be a pressure switch somewhere. I would severely doubt it's buried unless that's typical for that area.

Old 12-16-18, 12:28 PM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Is there an attic in the house where the tank and switch might be hidden in a corner? I think that is done sometimes, although rare.

Just thought - if you can find the breaker and/or ON/OFF switch for the pump, those wires should go to the pressure switch. So if you could follow those somehow, that may point you towards the pressure switch.

Old 12-16-18, 12:49 PM
Thanks for your input, everyone. There is no attic, and really no place the tank could be hiding. It's a tiny house, with only one bathroom, and a kitchen sink. The plumbing is all on one wall, and the main water line comes in to the house in a laundry closet in the bathroom. It would be pretty much impossible to overlook the tank, or switch. I am baffled.

Old 12-16-18, 01:23 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Originally Posted by 2TrakMind
My son bought a house with a well,
Right next to the well well is a capped 4" PVC pipe sticking out of the ground.
A 4" PVC pipe sticking out of the ground is usually septic or sewer.
If the water line and waste line are on same side of the house, that usually means you're on municipal water, or a shared well.

Old 05-24-19, 12:24 PM
Y
Received 24 Upvotes on 23 Posts
To the OP: Did this mystery resolve its self......? CMWTK

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: