Septic line damaged, is this an effective repair?

Old 03-09-19, 01:37 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Septic line damaged, is this an effective repair?

I have a house in NC (12 year old) bought 8 months ago. No evidence of previous septic issues. Ground is red clay.

2 weeks ago, a neighbor with a large (heavy) backhoe was removing some dirt from our backyard (different long story for another time) and his front wheel ‘went down’ into some soft ground. When he pulled out, there was a little surfacing of water/effluent. He thought he had cracked the 2inch PVC feed line from the septic tank to the start of the later line.

So we dug down with a mini (lightweight) backhoe and (short version) found the lateral line and had cut through the line with the backhoe (plastic flexible surrounded in polystyrene beads encapsulated with the fine netting to keep it all together. This was 10 feet from the end of the 300ft lateral line (based on the markings from the county health septic inspection a few weeks earlier)

We filled in the hole with the soggy dirt, and each time the pump pumped the tank the disturbed dirt would get soggier and some effluent run off would happen. (which of course I want to fix)

So yesterday I dug down again, cut the pipe cleanly and fitted a standard drain cap to the end (that of course doesn’t create a water tight seal) to terminate the line (we were only sacrificing 10 feet of the single 300 foot lateral line - 2 of us in living in the 3 bedroom house that used to have 5 people living here)

The septic tank is 120 feet away and about 15feet lower than the septic field so the effluent is pumped up to the start. It pumps about once ever 48 hours.

I have not filled the hole.

When the septic pump runs (for about 8minutes every 48 hours) the hole fills up with effluent and there is some run off.

Question:
  • Capping the line with a standard drain cap (not water tight) is that what I should do?
  • If I fill the hole with fresh dry dirt will that be sufficient
  • Is there anything else I should do other than capping and filling with dry dirt?

Stressing a bit over this – want to fix the issue

Any guidance welcomed!

Old 03-09-19, 02:13 PM
Received 1,057 Upvotes on 959 Posts
thought he had cracked the 2inch PVC feed line from the septic tank to the start of the later line
So I can only speak of Michigan septic systems, but have never, ever, seen anything smaller than a 4" line used in a septic system!

plastic flexible surrounded in polystyrene beads encapsulated with the fine netting to keep it all together
So I can only speak of Michigan septic systems, but have never, ever, seen anything like this used in a septic system!

Are you positive this is from a septic system?

Old 03-09-19, 03:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,705 Upvotes on 1,524 Posts
First, take the Health Dept's. drawing/schematic with a grain of salt and shot of tequila. They are very often nothing more than rough sketches of "the plan". When in the field and actually digging things can change. Often what is actually built and in the ground can be very different and the records don't get updated.

You mention a 2" line which is sometimes used for the rigid PVC lines from the pump tank to distribution manifold and the beginning of the leach field. The most common type of leach field system with packing noodles like you describe is EZflow which is available with either 3" or 4" black corrugated poly piping in it's core. So, I'm a little concerned what you are actually working on. If you are seeing 2" line my first thought is that you are at the infeed end of the leach field line not the tail end. And if you are capping something off you don't want to be doing it at the beginning.

I am also concerned that you mentioned a 300' lateral. That is a bit unusual. Most often with a pump system you have a series of shorter laterals fed from a distribution manifold. If you don't have a distribution manifold then it is possible that you have only one long leach line. If that's the case then it's not a good sign that you are having water coming to the surface at the end of the line. Often getting water of that volume at the end of the line can mean that the preceding line might be clogged and is not accepting liquid like it should.

Old 03-09-19, 07:30 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the confusion with the 2inch and 4 inch pipe.
The two inch pipe I mentioned is the 2 inch pvc pumped feed from the tank up to the leach lines (and is not damaged)
The black plastic corrugated 4inch pipe (with the polystyrene beads (like packing peanuts)) is deffo from the septic system as when I trigger the septic pump the effluent flows out. Its this 4inch black plastic pipe that was damaged and I cleaned up and capped.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: