How R&R well tank elbow?

Old 03-12-19, 06:03 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How R&R well tank elbow?

In relocating the well tank I evidently compromised the elbow to tank thread seal and have a drip. I need to remove this 1" elbow to clean up the threads and reseal/reinstall. However, access to this fitting is limited as it is nestled in the tank base... I can't get a pipe wrench in there. Ideas?

Name:  tank.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  17.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-12-19 at 02:01 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 03-12-19, 06:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Did you use teflon tape or pipe dope?

That fitting has come with every tank I've ever bought and I've never tried to remove it. Unless you have a NPT tap (expensive) I doubt you will be able to do anything with the fitting. Replacing it would be much cheaper. Or, try tightening things a bit more or remove it and re-apply more teflon tape.

Old 03-12-19, 10:20 AM
T
Hi PiIot Dane, thanks for the reply.

I didn't use sealant as I have never had this factory installed elbow off. What I am saying is that I must remove this elbow in order to clean up the threads and reseal. In a nutshell, how can I get this elbow removed, as there is no room to swing a pipe wrench. I'm guessing that they used some sort of special tool/jig to install it.

Old 03-12-19, 10:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Do NOT remove the elbow fitting from the tank. Remove the pipe nipple you have screwed into the elbow. And, unless you have the NPT tap there isn't much you can do to clean up the internal threads. When you re-install the pipe nipple make sure the threads are covered with Teflon tape or pipe dope.

Old 03-12-19, 01:59 PM
T
The leak is not where the nipple threads into the elbow. The leak is between the elbow and the tank. If the elbow cannot be removed from the tank then it appears a new tank is the only solution to this problem.

Old 03-13-19, 07:02 AM
O
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
What about using the pipe that threads into the nipple. Use the leverage provided by its length to get the nipple to turn slightly (until it hits the holes in the bottom of the tank) by tapping on that with a mallet. Then if you have a smaller pipe in length to fit into those threads, but small enough to turn inside the standing sides, then perhaps you can tap at that to get it to loosen the rest of the way.

Can't say if it will work or create new problems, since I have never done it but it sounds like the tank is toast without the fix, so you don't have too much to lose.

Old 03-15-19, 01:03 PM
T
You're right... I have nothing to lose and something to gain. I'll give that a go. Thanks for the tip!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: