Temporarily reducing water supply at farm plumbing system

Old 04-21-19, 10:55 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Temporarily reducing water supply at farm plumbing system

Good day everyone.

I have a photo available here: [photos.app.goo.gl] Right click on link, open in a new tab if using chrome.
(it's essential to understanding the situation)

Name:  20190420_132318.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  131.7 KB

What I am trying to do is replace the faucet at #4.
#6 is the shut off for the whole house
#5 is a Goulds Well Pump
#4 is a 1/2 inch faucet (old one shown - it leaks)
#3 is the pressure release for the pressure tank
#2 is a rusted/stuck square value/nut (I tried to turn it - won't budge - worried about stripping or breaking it)
#1 is the shutoff for the pump into the pressure tank

I am trying to release the pressure for a minute or two at #4 so I can replace the faucet.
However, when I drain the pressure tank by opening the valve at #3, and prevent tank refilling closing the valve at #1, when the tank's pressure gets too low, the pump comes on, The pump appears to "heave" over and over. a) I am worried I will lose the prime and b) I am worried about damaging the pump.

Question to everyone:
Is there a way to avoid a blast of water coming out at #4 or is it ok to let the pump heave for a minute or two? I could turn off the power to the pump for a couple of minutes, but I am worried about losing the prime. Getting the prime back was done once previously - it took hours, and a plumber did it, and I really really want to avoid that situation.
Any suggestions or recommendations?

Last edited by ray2047; 04-21-19 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Add image.
Old 04-21-19, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,802 Votes on 2,537 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Turn the pump off and shut valve 3 and 6. 3 "should" hold water in the pump side long enough to replace that valve. Let the system pressure bleed down before removing the valve.

If you are having reoccurring prime issues..... you need to check into replacing the foot valve down in the well.

Last edited by PJmax; 04-21-19 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-22-19, 04:32 AM
B
Received 171 Votes on 153 Posts
Agree with PJmax. I would bleed the system down by attaching a washing machine hose to valve 4 into a 5 gallon bucket. When flow stops remove/replace valve 4. Repower pump and open valve 6.

Old 04-22-19, 04:36 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Pete. I understand your steps. The only way I know to let the the system pressure bleed down is to open valve #3 and let the water drain out. Valve at #3 doesn't open/close the line from the tank to #4, #6. Are you saying, if I turn off the pump, close #1, close #6, let the water drain out at #3, replace #4, then turn all back on, the prime should hold at the pump? Foot valve was replaced about 2-3 years ago.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: